Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - No dirty diapers

Default Help - No dirty diapers

Ok, in a previous post I mentioned that my girls dirty diapers have really decreased. Well over the weekend she has not had a dirty diaper since Thursday (today would be day four). A previous poster said that was normal for breastfed babies. I wanted to check to be sure and the doctor's office said that wasn't normal!??!! I'm in information overload and two conflicting sides. My sweet girl (going on 12 weeks) has plenty of wet diapers (6-8/per day). I really don't want to give her anything if it's not necessary. The doctor's office told be to put 2 Tbs. of Kayro Syrup in the bottles that I pump for her. Any advice/suggestions???

Default Re: Help - No dirty diapers

Less frequent poop diapers are very common. Anytime after 6 weeks of age this is normal and common. Several days, even weeks can pass and it is still normal to see no poop in a healthy baby.

Is your baby exclusively breastfed/breastmilk fed? Breastfed babies do not get constipated, the only thing to think about is if somehow baby is not getting enough milk. In your pp your reported excellent weight gain so that is not a problem. So, there is no problem.

There is no conflict here. Whoever you talked to is unaware that formula fed babies and breastmilk fed babies are completely different. Because breastfed/breast milk fed infants have a biologically normal diet and formula fed infants by definition do not.

10 years ago our oldest son’s pediatrician told us to give baby daily glycerin suppositories because he (at four months and exclusively breastfed) was not pooping every day! IN our ignorance, we did this. When there was nothing wrong!

My now 10 month daughter went at least 21 days without pooping about 3 months ago. I say at least because we did not even notice for almost a week. We did start to get concerned so we called our (new) pediatrician, and they said not to worry and their office record was 21 days! I wish I had kept better track of my baby because I bet she beat that record!

Thank you so much! It's good to get reassurance and I really did not want to give my baby Karyo Synrup if at all possible.

Yes, she is exclusively breastfed/breastmilk fed. She has not had formula since she was three weeks old and then it was only a couple of ounces.

This physicians office mentioned suppositories if the Karyo Syrup didn't work. I really didn't want to go that route!!!

Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart!!

This physicians office mentioned suppositories if the Karyo Syrup didn't work. I really didn't want to go that route!!!
    NOOOOO! This is sooooo wrong. This was a horrible thing for my poor baby. I could not believe it when I discovered later that my son's infrequent pooping pattern was totally normal. I cried.

No need to stick anything up your baby's bum at this point!

After 6 weeks, some breastfed babies will continue to poop several times a day, and others will poop just once a week or sometimes even less frequently. I've had one of each, both completely normal and healthy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think that icon is the exact face he made...

It would be my expression, too. I dread the day when I'm old enough that my doc tells me to get a colonoscopy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My little guys Dr said a week was ok inbetween poops, after that to do a suppository, he waited exactly seven days, then had a massive poop explosion

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esther2013 View Post
    My little guys Dr said a week was ok inbetween poops, after that to do a suppository, he waited exactly seven days, then had a massive poop explosion
    Even then that sounds like bad advice. My DS1 went 14 days or so without a poop. He usually followed those up with massive poops too. lol
    I know one LLL lady had made the comparison that breastmilk is a clean-burning fuel. I don't know a better way to put it! Babies use so much of the milk that there is not always a lot to output (poop).

Don't stress out... it is normal. We are so trained (myself included!) on ff babies that we do not realize that breastmilk's natural affect on baby is so different.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

My baby went 21 days OR MORE. I still think she broke the record...If only I had proof!

Suppositories, karo syrup etc. are treatments for constipation. If a baby has constipation, you know it. They will be obviously straining without result. Or passing only hard, dry pellets or otherwise abnormally dry poop.

My baby got a little extra fussy a day or so before she finally went. And after she went, it was thicker than normal but still passed easily. And there was a lot. A LOT. It was bathtime. For everyone!

She has never gone that long again, but she still poops irregularly...once a week is usually the most frequent she poops.