Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 day old with shallow latch

Default 2 day old with shallow latch

My son is 2 days old and is my second child. I nursed my daughter and didn't have too many problems with latching initially. My son keeps getting a shallow latch and my nipples are sore and blistered! I've tried getting him to open his mouth wider and then basically shove the nipple in as far as I can, but I don't know if my timing is bad or what, but it doesn't seem to be effective. Does he maybe just have a smaller mouth so is having a hard time getting a good latch? Could it be because he's still only getting colostrum and is too anxious to get his belly full of "regular" milk? Any advice would be so much appreciated!
    Mommy to:
    DD born 7/14/2011 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    DS born 5/31/2013 8 lbs. 6.5 oz.

Default Re: 2 day old with shallow latch

In the early days baby is learning to nurse, and mom is learning baby. Sometimes it takes a bit more adjusting to get things right. But if you are having latch pain and injury, especially if it is getting worse rather than better, it might be a good idea to get in person assistance if at all possible.

Sometimes it is best to basically get baby into a workable position and simply let baby latch, other times mom has to be more proactive in helpinh baby take the breast in a way it won't hurt.

Have you gone back to latch 'basics'- baby turned fully to mom, (so baby does not have to turn head to latch,) and baby's head tilted slightly back so baby has room to get a nice mouthful?

here is some latch and positioning info I like

Tips with pictures on latch and different positioning ideas (includes side lying) http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

Laid back position http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

Laid back video http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Here are two simple pictorials, you want the one on latch. (you could also read the info on tongue tie, of course.) Notice that the mother is in a “slightly” laid back position, looks like on a couch? This is a very “adjustable” position, play around to find how you and your baby are most comfortable. http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html

latch and 'Breast sandwich' article http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvfebmar04p3.html (probably only needed if baby cannot latch or latch is hurting mom)

with LLLMeg.

Has someone checked baby for a tongue tie?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the tips and resources! Perhaps I have just forgotten what it's like to adjust to nursing and only remember baby latching easily after practice.

He is now 5 days old and it's getting better. At his first check-up I'll ask to check him for tongue tie, but it's not really a cause for concern from what I know about tongue tie.

We'll just keep chugging along and if things don't get better I'm sure I'll reach out again!

Thank you again!
    Mommy to:

OK good luck, let us know how things go!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redcobra View Post
    He is now 5 days old and it's getting better. At his first check-up I'll ask to check him for tongue tie, but it's not really a cause for concern from what I know about tongue tie.
    Glad to hear that things are improving! Just want to point out that there are really 2 types of tongue ties: those that don't cause problems for breastfeeding, and those that do. If a mom has a tongue tied baby and her nipples are getting torn up, then that's probably a tongue tie that's causing problems and needs to be fixed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good to know. I'll be sure to address it with his PCP.
    Mommy to:

I definitely will let you know how things go!
    Mommy to:

We had his appointment today and no tongue tie. His latch has improved a lot since I posted this.

I think my daughter just had a better latch right off the bat, whereas my son needed a little more guidance. No more blisters or soreness and he hardly has to be adjusted! I just needed a little patience.
    Mommy to: