Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fussy baby while at breast

Default fussy baby while at breast

Hi all, i need advice with my little one. i' ve been breast feeding only for 3 weeks and all was fine up untill a few days when i put my son on the breast , he sucks for a little while then he just comes off the breast catching his breath, he chockes with the milk, he cant breath for a second then he is regaining stability and becomes all upset , cries and doesnt latch anymore. he moves his had left to right, wanting to eat more but he seems to get to upset to eat more. i tried to calm him down and trie latching again but as soon as he gets to the breast he strats fussing and crying again. there is 2 times i had to pump the milk and give it to him from the bottle. he took it just fine each time. this seems to happen in the evening. all day we are doing fine , till 4, 5 pm comes around.
    i feed my baby every 1.5 - 2 hours, including at night. i have planty of milk , is leacking during the day and/or night if it takes a little over 2 hours and i didnt feed him. So that is not the problem. there is one thing that im thinking of: he has a lot of mucus down in his trought , is not in his nouse , i tried to pump it out but there is nothing coming out, and when he eats you can here it in the back of his trought. maybe because he is chocking with all that milk and with the mucus , he gets upset and then the rest is hystory? i am planing to call his pedo tomorrow but i dont have much hope that she can clear his trought. Please give me advice if there is anything that i can do so i dont need to give him from bottle anymore. thank you.

Default Re: fussy baby while at breast

Hi, welcome to the forum an congratulations on dear new baby!

I don’t know about the mucous, that might be something to discuss with your baby’s pediatrician.

But otherwise, this sounds to me like either a little forceful letdown and/or plain old evening fussiness.

Assuming your baby has been gaining normally, neither of these are reasons neccesarily to pump and bottle feed baby. Pumping and bottles, especially this early, may have consequences, so I suggest exploring ways to keep baby exclusively on the breast.

Here is an article about forceful letdown. If this sounds like your baby, you can try the ideas for helping baby handle the fast flow. I personally have found nursing frequently and nursing in a “laid back” or reclined position helped the most. I would NOT suggest block nursing at this point, because you are still establishing milk production. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

Now, for just general fussiness-if you are cue feeding baby, with good frequency, as it sounds like you are, there is no reason that baby must nurse well every time. You know that baby knows how to nurse and you have plenty of milk. So if baby is NOT nursing, even if baby is fussing, there is no urgent reason baby MUST eat right then. Try calming baby another way, and try nursing again a short time later. If YOU are feeling very overfull due to baby not nursing, try some hand expression or pumping just a little bit, to relieve the pressure.

As I typed this my 10 month old was fussing and fussing and coming on and of the breast. My husband has taken her to try to settle her down. This is a typical evening scenario for us and has been since she was born! It does not mean anything is wrong with breastfeeding or baby will go hungry if I don’t give her a bottle. She will nurse again later. It is just normal for babies to fuss in general and to fuss at the breast. They spend a lot of time there!

This really does sound like a fast letdown issue, and if that's what it is, reclining while nursing is the first thing you want to try.

Symptoms of oversupply and fast letdowns:
    - Mom frequently feels full or engorged
    - Mom leaks a lot
    - Mom feels a strong letdown sensation (if she is one of the moms who experience the letdown sensation)
    - If pumping, mom will be able to pump a lot of milk with ease
    - Baby chokes, coughs, gags, splutters, or making a slicking or clucking sound when nursing
    - Baby feeds rapidly, perhaps in as little as 5-10 minutes
    - Baby may pull off the breast during feedings
    - If baby pulls off the breast while nursing, mom may observe milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    - Baby may "slide down" or "clamp down" onto the nipple while nursing
    - Baby's poops may be consistently or frequently green or greenish
    - Baby may gain weight very well
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the imediat response. I tried the "laid back " position but is very unconfortable for me and baby.Im kind of petite person with small boobies.( i was A- before, now i might be a B) It seams that he would need to held his neck and he cant do that yet. I was more confortable with a modified cradle position, holding the baby more on the vertical , with his head up.I start feeding more often today , maybe every hour, as soon as he would wake up from nap i would offer the breast. It was ok, he still was fussy and came off after eatting a little bit( 2-3min), and then I would calm him down, burp him then tried again, he eat a lil more. But there is still not right, he doesnt feel satisfied after feeding, i want him all happy after he eats, not cracky and upset. I will trie this feeding more often to see if it impoves. My mom sugested to pump after feeding him just to freez the milk for later use. What do you think about that? is that a good ideea or that would create a overproduction? He seems very healty and gains weight, the dipers look right (exept the mucus problem and some gas).

My mom sugested to pump after feeding him just to freez the milk for later use.
    Why? That's a lot of extra work.
    or that would create a overproduction?
    Pumping extra will likely create overproduction. Will you be separted from baby for some reason soon? If so, You can probably pump enough to build a small emergency stash by pumping at most once a day. And you would have to pump during the separations so that would likely be your day to day milk for baby during separations.

I tried the "laid back " position but is very unconfortable for me and baby.Im kind of petite person with small boobies.( i was A- before, now i might be a B) It seams that he would need to held his neck and he cant do that yet. I was more confortable with a modified cradle position,
    I promise you that newborns who are minutes old have the head control for 'laid back,' and it 'works' for mom of all shapes and sizes. You may be leaning too far back or not far enough. Shift yourself up or down, side to side, as you like. Use your hands or arms to support baby as you need/like. All that is required for 'laid back' is that mom not be sitting up ramrod straight or hunching over baby. Otherwise, you can be in any position that is comfortable and supported. So I suggest, keep experimenting.

If you like cross cradle, keep baby in cross cradle while you are leaning slightly back. Baby can be in any position. But for ffld, if baby's head is above baby's tummy, even slightly, it will most likely feel better to baby. This can be accomplished many ways, with mom laid back or not.

It was ok, he still was fussy and came off after eatting a little bit( 2-3min), and then I would calm him down, burp him then tried again, he eat a lil more. But there is still not right, he doesnt feel satisfied after feeding, i want him all happy after he eats, not cracky and upset.
    If your baby is gaining well, then baby is ok and this is right. While many babies are fussy, ffld and overproduction can cause additional fussiness in baby, so keep trying the ideas to fix it. It will take a little time, this does not go away overnight.

There may be something else involved, perhaps a food allergy, perhaps reflux, these are rare, however. Even in those cases, the medically sound choice is to continue to exclusively feed baby at the breast. And some fussiness is just normal. Your baby is who he is. A baby being cranky is not a medical issue.

What worked for me when my lo started choking and sputtering on milk was to lift my leg up, the one his head was on, just a bit and this seemed to help him handle the quick flow.

No i am not going back to work. My mom after 3 months Breast feeding me "lost the milk" and she is saying i will too. So to have milk after she thinks i sould pump it now. i dont necesarely think that i will not have the milk after 3 months , is just that i have now so much and it would feel better for me to have the boobs not so full.
    I tried again laing back and it did work much better. The first time i was trying the possition in the article you sent me but now i just reclained back, not totally flat, and baby was in the cradle hold. we did good last night with every feeding. He wasnt eatting allot but i guess thats who he is. we have to get used to it with eachother. Tomorrow we hva 4 weeks , yAyyyyy.

Thanks for the tip, i will trie lifting leg up too.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miha View Post
    My mom after 3 months Breast feeding me "lost the milk" and she is saying i will too. So to have milk after she thinks i sould pump it now.
    I am guessing that your mom probably made one of the very common breastfeeding mistakes, which include:
    - thinking that in order to have milk, you need to feel "full" all the time
    - thinking that you don't have enough milk if baby is fussy, feeds frequently, or doesn't sleep through the night
    - having a doctor tell you that your baby is "too skinny" and therefore you must not have enough milk
    - scheduling feedings, leading to decreased supply

Often what happens is that a mom starts out making too much milk. It's normal to start out that way, because nature wants to make absolutely sure that your baby gets fed while mastering the sometimes tricky art of breastfeeding. But your body doesn't overproduce in the long term, because to do so is a waste of energy and puts you at increased risk for things like plugged ducts and mastitis. So after a mom has been nursing a while, milk supply adjusts to meet demand very precisely, without a lot of extra left over to make a mom feel full. This is the point where a lot of moms freak out, convinced that because they feel so empty, they must be empty. But it's not so.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"