Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much bm does a one yo dc drink?

Default how much bm does a one yo dc drink?

my ds turns one yo in about a week. this is his normal daily schedule:

3am - bm
    6.30am - bm
    7.30am - fruits
    8.45am - bm
    11.30am - lunch (solids)
    1.45pm - bm
    4.15pm - dinner (solids)
    6.30pm - bm

on average, he has about 5 bm feeds. sometimes we may throw in another one before lunch and have dropped the milk feed before dinner.

Is that normal?

Default Re: how much bm does a one yo dc drink?

Totally normal! My DS did roughly the same thing, until I was ready to wean him, and then I'd usually only bf right before sleeping (and in the middle of the night). My DS would wake once or twice in the middle of the night until we night-weaned him around 13 months.

HTH.

Lisa

Yep. Sounds normal to me too. My one year old was nursing 6 to 8 times in a 24 hour period. It got down to 4 to 6 times by the time she was two, and now I've actively cut her back to two to three times a day at over 2.5 years old.

lisa, may i ask about your night weaning? did you go cold turkey, with no substitute? just let him go back to sleep without any milk?

ok, so another question... if i drop morning or nite (before bedtime) feeds, i presume i should substitute with formula, right?! my next question will be: how many times in the day do you give your one yo formula?

At the time we night weaned, my DS was feeding twice a night, on average. I cut the earlier one out first (no substitute feeding), then did the other. We did not offer him formula, just water. I made sure he was fed well during the day. Babies are smart, and they make up for those lost calories very quickly by eating more during the day. We did not give him milk at night, because I didn't want to take one habit and replace it with a bad one.

I do not use any formula at all. My DS has always hated the taste, and while I offered him small amounts of cow's milk before 12 months old (only 2-3 ounces a day), now he's drinking water, watered down juice, and probably 10 ounces of cow's milk per day, along with good meals/snacks. I figured that formula wasn't necessary after 12 months, since formula-fed babies usually stop formula at that age. Talk to your doctor, though, if you're concerned. I'm assuming you'll have your LO at the doctor's office soon for their 1 yr checkup. They should talk to you about their diet then.

So, when I dropped a feed, my DS would just compensate by eating more food and drinking more fluids of other types.

I hope that helps! Ask more questions if you need clarification!

Lisa

bb don't drink formula after 1 year?? really?? but i see everyone's kids still holding on to a full milk bottle even past 2 years old.

well, i will be bringing him in for a well check next week and will definitely ask the paed. his lack of weight gain is a concern for me. i've just started him on oats for breakfast instead of lunch now... so that makes it 3 meals a day. will try to wean him off milk in the middle of the nite. but i feel that's such a long time to be without milk... from 6.30pm to 6.30am is such a long stretch.

Those bottles probably have cow's milk in them. Weaning from a bottle can be almost as tricky as weaning from the breast for some families, but many parents move to a sippy cup full time at a year. Anyway, no you don't need formula after a year... especially if your lo likes cow's milk and tolerates it well. As far as growth, be sure to check out the WHO's latest growth charts... you'll see a slow in growth around a year. It's pretty normal. The weight gain pattern is quite different at this age for breastfed babies then for formula babies... that's my own observation of kids I know and the charts available.

Yeah, that does seem like a long time to go without nursing, but they are perfectly capable of doing it... While I didn't nightwean until two years of age, it's just fine to do that now if you want.