Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 day old hasn't pooped. Maybe peed?

Default 1 day old hasn't pooped. Maybe peed?

Hey ladies, on my phone but need to ask a question for a friend. Her baby has not pooped and may have peed but she doesn't know for sure because it was in the nursery while she was being weighed and my friend wasn't there. She is concerned for 2 reasons, one obvious concern is that she is producing colostrum. Te second is she is worried they will push formula with the thoughts that ban isn't getting anything. Anyone been through this?
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Default Re: 1 day old hasn't pooped. Maybe peed?

She has to ask the staff if her baby peed or pooped when not with her! This is vital info!

Is baby nursing? Does the hospital have rooming in? Why was baby in the nursery? Baby should be with momma, on momma, all the time, unless there is a medical reason they cannot be together.
    Your friend already made colostrum. It was in the breasts when baby was born. The transition from colustrum to more abundant milk takes a few days.

Babies are not born empty. They are in most cases born well hydrated and well nurished.. If a newborn has not pooped or even peed! at all it would be quite odd and not have anything to do with how much colustrum baby is getting.
    Nurses cannot prescribe formula. This is a medical intervention with consequences. If baby requires supplementation, it should be ordered by a doctor, in specific, extremely small amounts, with mother having full understanding and agreement that supplementing is needed as a medical intervention.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 1st, 2013 at 07:17 PM.

Yes I have been through having formula pushed by nursing staff on my perfectly healthy, well nursing newborn for no reason. I refused. But I was an experienced mom and knew for a fact my baby was fine. It's much harder if mom is unsure

Does the hospital have a board cert lc on staff? Anyone else around her who is breastfeeding knowlegable and supportive?

pees & poops are medical information that will be in baby's charts. she should keep track independently, too. in my experience they asked & recorded every single time they came in the room.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Pooping is more of an issue about whether the baby's GI tract is functioning as it should, less about intake. It took DS#2 about 34 hours after birth to poop, and everyone was getting concerned -- we had a complex discharge plan (most wouldn't even be allowed to go home until baby pooped) including pediatric GI 1-2 hours away if the pooping did not continue. Once the plan was made, he pooped everywhere and really hasn't stopped in the 6 months since. So they are definitely keeping track. She just needs to speak up and ask.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Thanks ladies! So sorry to just get back to this. I didn't give much info, sorry about that. I had my hands full at the ball field all day and was trying to get info on this as well!

Baby has since pooped and peed a ton. yay!

The issue was that mom asked the nurse, the nurse told her that she had just peed, then documented that she pooped and peed in her charts. Mom has worked in the healthcare field for years, so is familiar with how it all works. I think in the moment she was just concerned and that was an issue she had not looked into much. She also hadn't seen the same pediatrician since she had been there so didn't have confidence in any advice given. I completely agree that mom should be with baby all the time - but this mom doesn't feel that way. She knows how I feel and has heard all of the reasons from me. She is educated, just choses to do things her own way. She is very much a "if I want your advice I will ask for it" type person. (She is my bf from growing up so I know her very well). Baby is nursing and from what I can tell (havne't been able to talk to her a whole lot, she lives 7hrs away) and she is using the lactation consultant at teh hospital as well as a friend in the area that was a LLL leader and nursed 6 kids. She has been asking for advice here and there, so I feel good about what she is doing. Just wish I could be there to help hands on!! I think she was concerned that they would push formula, and she knew that there are other options, just no clue what those might be. It actually made me feel good that she called me. Anoher of our good friends is a LLL leader and she couldnt get in contact with her.

so for now... crisis averted! And when she text me to tell me that baby had finally pooped - I thought it was humurous as that may be the one and only time she is thankful for a poopy diaper
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Oh good so glad baby pooped! Not that I really doubted baby would...

I think she was concerned that they would push formula, and she knew that there are other options, just no clue what those might be.
    There sure are other options. The first being, listen to your smart LLL friends