Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Humid, Hot Weather and Decreased Nursing

Default Humid, Hot Weather and Decreased Nursing

Yesterday brought in the beginning of a summer heat wave that is slated to last for a while. LO has entered a stage of great distractibility . . . that coupled with her feeling the heat a tremendous amount is making nursing a challenge. She's not wanting to nurse for as long - and her diaper output yesterday was drastically reduced. My concern is that she gets enough milk to keep her hydrated (she sweats like crazy!). Is there a valid reason for giving her water during this extreme heat and humidity? LL is 18 weeks tomorrow.

We stay indoors when it's very hot. I'm just concerned as the summer unfolds as to whether I should be offering her a little water or not.
    Last edited by @llli*kessy24; May 31st, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Life is Beautiful.

Default Re: Humid, Hot Weather and Decreased Nursing

Nursing is enough to provide for all your child's fluid needs. No need for water, unless you want to use it on the outside, wiping her down with a cool damp cloth when she seems to be really hot.

If your baby is not nursing enough to stay hydrated, then expressed milk, formula, or oral rehydration solution (e.g. Pedialyte) would be your options, in that order of preference. Water in excessive amounts can throw off a baby's electrolyte balance, and that can make her sick. A sip or two isn't going to hurt, but you would never give a baby a bottle of water.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Humid, Hot Weather and Decreased Nursing

Thank you. I'm offering to nurse LO more often and will opt to pump if necessary.
    Life is Beautiful.