Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oversupply of milk and very fussy baby help

Default Re: Oversupply of milk and very fussy baby help

If it is thrush who would I see to get this fixed?

You can try some of the home remedies listed on the site I linked - taking probiotics yourself and for your LO, using diluted grapefruit seed extract on your nipples and swabbing the inside of the baby's mouth, and getting a script for the all-purpose nipple cream from your doc (see the link on Dr Newman's site) are all helpful. Make sure you wash all bras, towels, on hot water with vinegar, sterilize all pump parts, bottles, toys that baby has had in her mouth, etc, and wash your hands frequently.

If that fails, you can get a script for diflucan from your doctor. You need to treat your baby at the same time (even if she's not symptomatic) so you don't pass it back and forth. Doctors will often prescribe Nystatin orally for babies, but whether that is effective is often up for debate. I personally found the grapefruit seed extract more effective and easier to use.

Who should I see to diagnose if webhave thrush or not? Would it be my obgyn or her pediatrican ?

I guess that depends on who you think is more breastfeeding friendly and knowledgeable! Would her pedi prescribe meds for you if you needed them? I guess you might need to see both. Or you could try some of the home remedies first to see if they help at all.

So, you are describing my very similar experience, almost colic like symptoms. My guess is that this is from the oversupply. Even my lactation consultant was confused about this...she couldn't understand why my baby wouldn't sleep. I could tell that my daughter was angry that she kept getting milk when she wanted to just suck for comfort!

Oversupply = baby really can't nurse to sleep, and it's very difficult to comfort baby with nursing because you have so much that baby is getting blasted with milk every time. It's hard to envision what's happening inside baby's little mouth, but imagine you want to go to sleep gently sucking and you get sprayed down the throat by a garden hose.

We have the kind of newborn that had to be walked, bounced, etc. all. day. long. it was almost unbearable. And I have a toddler. And I am by myself with them for like 9+ hours a day with absolutely no family within 200 miles.

I would highly recommend a baby swing, we used one and it worked wonders. Definitely try to get in to the Lactation person ASAP. As in the next few days if you can. Again, try for someone who is an IBCLC. If your oversupply is really bad, she will be able to help you figure out a plan of attack to get it under control as soon as possible. Mine didn't go away for months, but it got much better for my baby when we started feeding lying down together. She had poor weight gain until I started doing that because she hated nursing so much, then we did that and she gained twice as much weight.

Now my baby who didn't really seem eager to nurse and howled when she was a newborn peacefully nurses to sleep for every nap and bedtime. She's almost 6 months old now. A miracle of the human body, after your hormones die down your supply will adjust, but it takes time and you will likely need to work with the consultant to figure out how to make that happen now if it can.
    and Mama to two little girls

Would using cabbage laves help the situation at all?

Cabbage leaves are good for treating engorgement, but be careful with them. Some moms find them really, really effective, and you don't want to reduce supply too much.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*didixoxo View Post
    So it appears that I have an oversupply of milk and a fore milk an hindmilk imbalance. I am so frustrated because my 2 week and a few day old baby girl is always gulping and choking when I breast feed her. Ive had multiple engorgements were I was running a low grade fever chills all over it was awful. She also wants to feed like every 45 mins! I feel like Im breast feeding all day. She is also very very fussy. What can I do to fix this situation because Im at the point of wanting to quit i hate seeing her in discomfort

I am breastfeeding during the day and I do only 2 bottles of formula at night and I pump for those two bottles that I dont breast feed in order to give my nipples a break from breast feeding so many times a day, there extremely sore!
    This sounds like forceful letdown. Milk production tends to peak at around 2-4 weeks after baby is born. Nursing frequently, NOT pumping, and NOT giving your baby formula feedings will help your milk production level off to be enough for baby but not too much most quickly, so you can both nurse happily. Pumping and bottles interferes with the normal course of breastfeeding in many ways.

If you have thrush, you will not only have to get appropriate treatment for yourself and your baby, you will also have to sterilize or wash (I forget if it's always needed to sterilize) your pump parts and all bottles and nipples until it clears up.

This is why it is suggested that moms hold off on pumping and bottle if they possibly can. They either cause problems or exacerbate them.

I am breastfeeding during the day and I do only 2 bottles of formula at night and I pump for those two bottles that I dont breast feed in order to give my nipples a break from breast feeding so many times a day, there extremely sore!
    IN your earlier thread, I though you said the formula at night bottles were to prolong sleep. I am sorry I missed that you have sore nipples.

A baby nursing frequently does not cause sore nipples! We are all designed to be able to nurse our young baby’s lots and lots. It is almost always a latch issue if mom is experiencing nipple pain. Thrush is a possibility too, and of course both could be happening.

Your baby’s behavior sounds normal. It is not always going to be like this, this intense early period is very temporary. But the bottles and formula may well make things worse, not better.