Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden change in nursing habbit. Reassurance needed :)

Default Sudden change in nursing habbit. Reassurance needed :)

My daughter changed it up on Saturday out of no where! She was 14 weeks 4 days old. Previously we used a nipple shield due to latch issues as a new born, and then she wouldn't take the breast with out it. She would nurse on average 15-20 mins on 1 side at a time. Sometimes nursing up to 30 mins. and very rarely take the other breast for an additional 10 mins. Well on Saturday (in public grrr) she went on a screaming nursing strike. So i pulled off my nipple shield and squirted her in the mouth and she took my breast with no shield!!! Since then she has refused the shield ( ) Well now she only eats for 5 mins at a time. On 1 side. And if I keep offering her to latch she will take a suck and unlach for as long as I keep my breast in her face. which I have now just taken it away when she is done. She is nursing more frquently. I also now have a horrible fear of nursing in public... but I will press on and let the world see my (giant) breasts as she won't nurse covered up anymore either...

Anyways I feel like i know everything is good and normal... But I need some reassurance as it feels soooo strange for such a sudden change from all that I've ever known!

Default Re: Sudden change in nursing habbit. Reassurance needed :)

WOW!! Talk about letting nature do its thing! That is awesome that she was able to quit the nipple shield cold turkey...I know how much of a pain those things are. I think that she may be more efficient at getting what she needs with less effort now without the nipple shield and that might be why she is able to nurse for a shorter time period. If she is gaining well, has the amount of wet diapies she needs, and is happy then all is well! Trust your instincts mama and welcome to a new world of easier breastfeeding!!
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

THANKS! Also just in coinsidence my daughter was born 1 day before your son! And my husbands name is Gabriel

So cool!!!!
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

That's fantastic! I'm with iritita . . . long as your getting proper number of wet diapers and baby is gaining that's awesome!! It is a little scary when baby changes things up isn't it?? My 4 mo. old has been going through a change of habit lately also and for a few days it had me worried too!
    Keep up the great work Mama!
    Life is Beautiful.