Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 week baby not eating enough?

Default 8 week baby not eating enough?

Hello!

I have a pretty scheduled baby who gets hungry every 3 hours and with sleeping at night and eating every 3 hours he is only eating 6 times a day but he is gaining weight and the doctor says he is doing well. My feeding schedule is below:

2:30 AM- 4 oz breast milk bottle
    7:30 AM- Breastfeed for 20-30 minutes on one side
    11 AM- Breastfeed for 20-30 minutes on one side
    2 PM- Breasfeed for 20-30 min on one side
    5 PM- Bottle 4 oz breastmilk ** Im working so he has to get a bottle here
    8 PM- Bottle 4 oz breast milk

I just dont see how to feed him anymore. Is this an okay feeding schedule if he does not ask for food any earlier?

Default Re: 8 week baby not eating enough?

Is this schedule something baby designed on his own, or have you been encouraging it? Maybe waiting for a predetermined length of time before feeding him, giving a pacifier if he hasn't gone long enough, that sort of thing? If this schedule is baby's own design, then it's probably fine. There are a few babies who get enough to eat despite nursing less than the average minimum (usually 8 feedings per day). The only things I would suggest doing for a baby who is spontaneously nursing so infrequently are first, to offer the breast more often, and second, to stop using tools like swaddling and pacifiers which can extend sleep stretches and the gaps between feedings.

If this schedule is something you have encouraged, then I would scrap it alltogether. Demand feeding is to good standard for healthy babies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just don’t see how to feed him anymore. Is this an okay feeding schedule if he does not ask for food any earlier?
    You probably can nurse more often by simply offering more often. If baby is not interested, fine. But certainly you may offer as much as you like.

Your baby’s doctor may be looking at breastfeeding as a food delivery system, and he sees baby is gaining well, so he says all is well.

But nursing a baby is a much more holistic thing. It is way MORE than a feeding system. Your baby never wishes to nurse for comfort, nurse to sleep, 'hang out' at the breast, cluster nurse, etc?

And even whether this is often enough for good milk production for the duration, is open to question. Certainly, nursing/pumping 6 times a day especially in the early months is very much on the low side.

Hello!

I nurse at these times due to my work schedule and this is a schedule that he has developed. He always eats around these times and he is a very scheduled baby on his own terms. I cannot feed him more due to my work schedule but have breastfeeding bottles on hand if he needs them between the feedngs. I am pumping quite often:
    7 AM- Releasing about 2 oz of milk before feeding
    9:00 AM- Pumping whatever side i did not nurse on
    12:00 PM- 15 min pumping session
    2:30- 10 min on whatever side he is not nursing on
    5:30- 10 min Pumping
    10:00- Pump before bed

He seems happy and healthy and doctor says he is doing great!

I am sure your baby is happy and healthy. My concern is about your milk production going forward and breastfeeding duration in general, which is helped when baby is able/encoraged to comfort nurse and cue nurse.

You asked if nursing a two month old baby 3 times a day with three bottle feedings was an ok scedule, and in my experience, the answer is no, not for milk production and not for the nursing relationship in the long term. But certainly it may help maintain production if you are pumping as well.

But then the question becomes, why do you need to pump 6 times for three bottles? (This could be normal but I just want to check)-How big are the bottles?

2:30 am-baby gets a bottle. baby fed, no milk removal *
    7am hand express? milk removal only +
    7:30am baby nurses baby fed, milk removal *+
    9am pumping-milk removal only +
    11am baby nurses baby fed, milk removal*+
    12 noon pumping, milk removal only +
    2 pm baby nurses baby fed, milk removal *+
    2:30 pump milk removal only +
    5 pm baby gets bottle baby fed, no milk removal *
    5:30 pump, milk removal only +
    8pm bottle baby fed, no milk removal *
    10 pm pump, milk removal only +

Baby fed 6 times, milk removed 9 times including the nursing sessions. So, the milk removal frequency is closer to normal, but two thirds of that is via pumping. That (pumping rather than nursing) is something that may harm production over time, which is one reason why working moms may encourage more frequent nursing when they are with baby, to help keep production in good shape.

Are you not able to pump at work? Is that why you are (appariently) pumping when with baby, rather than nursing-to have milk for baby while you work?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; May 30th, 2013 at 10:01 PM.