Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diarrhea - should I be worried?

Default Diarrhea - should I be worried?

Hi, my daughter is 19 months old and in the last 10 days instead of her regular smushy-but-solid poos once or twice a day she has been doing runny poos up to 5 or 6 times per day. At first I thought it was because she had a cold and was swallowing all that snot. Then I thought maybe because we had lentils and a few mandarin oranges a couple days in a row, but even after pretty much restricting her to white rice, white bread, white crackers, meat and cheese, she has only had one more-solid-type poop yesterday and today is back to the runs. She nurses a lot and also drinks minteral water and she also often drinks her bath water (could that be the culprit? Our water isn't great but she has been drinking it since she was small).

She is not acting sick at all. She no longer has a cold either.

Would you be worried enough to see a doctor? my only option would be to take her to emergency as we don't have a doctor here.

ThankS!

Default Re: Diarrhea - should I be worried?

I'm not sure what area you are in, but a nasty little bug has been going around my area for a couple of months now. It just caused diahrea in my then 5 month old. It lasted a long time, like 10-14 days. I called the pediatrician and they let me know that something was going around. He was still eating great and had normal wet diapers, so we just let it run it's course.

Is your little one eating and drinking normally?
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

I forgot to say I have also been giving her apple and yogurt, and banana when she will eat it. Needless to say I am not really thrilled with continuing such a limited diet for much longer!

Yes, she has a good appetite. Luckily she loves rice . Drinking more than usual I'd say...asks for a lot of "nana" and water....

As long as she is otherwise healthy and happy, I wouldn't worry too much. It can take a while for a bug to work its way out the bottom of a kid's digestive system. If it takes more than a few weeks, though, it might be worth talking to a doc about it.

Don't blame the bath water- it's yucky when they drink it but if she's been drinking it thus far, she's probably been exposed to any microorganisms living in your water supply, and has long since developed immunity to them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"