Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ugh. Forgot to wash hands before pumping today!!!

Default Ugh. Forgot to wash hands before pumping today!!!

My power cord to my pump broke so my routine is thrown off by having to go out to the car to pump until I my new cord comes next week. I totally wasn't thinking and forgot to wash my hands or even use hand sanitizer and I used my finger to apply coconut oil to the flange before pumping! I'm so paranoid because I touched several door handles and worst of all the work microwave!!

What would you do?
    ~Sarah, momma to
    Gracie 7/2006
    Keira 12/2009
    Parker 2/2013

Default Re: Ugh. Forgot to wash hands before pumping today!!!

Tell yourself your exposing your baby to more germs and building his immune system! Thats what I tell myself when my daughter born 2/12/13 takes a suck on my unwashed fingers when I am holding her in public places. Because my first instinct is to cringe and get paranoid. She has never been sick more than a little snotty nose and sneezes for couple days once. Too much germ protection can do more harm than good. I bet its fine. And i think the coconut oil is some sort of protection anyways.. but I guess i am not totally sure. I wouldnt worry!

Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

I wouldn't worry about it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Breastmilk is full of awesome antibodies anyway ... so unless there was ebola virus on your work microwave, I think you'll be just fine

HHAHAH! Thanks everyone! I feel much better now!
    ~Sarah, momma to
    Gracie 7/2006
    Keira 12/2009
    Parker 2/2013

You might use the pumped milk soon we rather than later, because the storage guidelines usually assume you just washed your hands. I wouldn't worry about it though. With my first, I was paranoid about touching my nipples with dirty hands. With my second, I'm too busy trying to get him fed in between big brother's crises to worry about that sort of thing.

there is absolutely no reason to sterilize for a healthy, full-term infant. wash, sure - once a day is enough if you keep pump parts in the fridge between pumps. no reason to worry about not having washed your hands, unless you work in a place with harmful chemicals and/or exposure to nasty illnesses like ebola in fact, i really honestly can't remember EVER specifically washing my hands before pumping, in 11 months ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.