Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 weeks old back to breast

Default 9 weeks old back to breast

My son was born March 22 and I started breastfeeding him immediately at the hospital. I experienced what I assumed were normal pains and problems feeding. I went to the LC at my ped's office a few times for help and all I was told was the latch "looks great" but it felt awful and I knew something was wrong. I kept telling my husband if this is what it felt like for every woman then the human race would have never survived! I tried to stick with it but after 2 weeks of crying through every feeding (me, not him) and more wounds than I could bear, I decided to go to exclusively pumping to let myself heal. It had gotten to the point where milk couldn't be expressed because there were so many wounds blocking my ducts. I had two bouts of mastitis back to back and spend HOURS pumping trying to unclog nearly every duct.

After 6 weeks of healing, I was finally ready to try to put him back to breast. I felt like I was missing out on that connection with him and I was sick of spending hours at the pump and washing dishes. I went to the LC at my ped's office and she took a look at his mouth to see what was causing the initial issues. He has a very short frenulum toward the back and a high palette. He's not tongue tied but apparently this could still cause some significant issues. We tried to get him to latch but he falls off and has to relatch constantly so we decided to use a shield to try to save me some pain.

It seemed to be working well but when I went to his 2 month visit, he was not gaining weight. He hasn't lost any, but he's not gaining. So now I've been told to breastfeed AND pump to make sure he's getting enough. He's regressed to the point where he pulls back and falls off more than he eats and he's even fussy with his bottles now, which was never the case before. I am feeling lost and worried. I wanted so badly to do this for my baby but feeding has become more than just a chore, but a dreaded ritual.

My LC tells me to try to pump more to get my supply up because he may be frustrated that the flow isn't fast enough for him. I can't tell how much he eats but he only has a good latch for about 5-10 minutes tops and I know he can't be getting what he needs in that short time. He won't nurse on more than one side and when I bottle him after to make sure he's getting enough he reluctantly takes another 2-3 oz.

I don't know when enough is enough and to just call it quits. Some insight would be appreciated!

Default Re: 9 weeks old back to breast

very short frenulum toward the back and a high palette
    Did she mention posterior tongue tie? have you researched that possibility?

www.kiddsteeth.com
    hmm, now I can't find info specifically on ptt on here...Do you have the womanly art of breastfeeding, 8th edition, ptt is discussed in there. Anyone know a good resource online for ptt?

Are you still using the nipple shield?

Does nursing still hurt?

Has anyone suggested a lacation aid for supplementing instead of bottles?

after to make sure he's getting enough he reluctantly takes another 2-3 oz.
    2-3 ounces is a complete feed. YOur baby may very naturally be reluctant to take this much if baby already got a full feed or even a little at the breast.

Can you please tell us:

complete weight history, -what baby weighed at each age a weight was taken? Also, when scales were the same one as used for previous weight check, and when they were not?
    How many times in 24 hours baby nurses
    How many times in 24 hours baby gets a bottle (now and when you were eping)
    for now and also when you were eping, How many times in 24 hours you pump, how much milk you typically express, and what kind of a pump you are using?
    How is babies health, otherwise? What about other growth-length, head circ?

also-it took 6 weeks for your nipples to heal!?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; May 30th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.

I would say maybe try to switch to giving him 2oz of bottle first then finish at the breast so that he becomes associated with feeling satisfied at the breast.
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

She had mentioned that even if it were a posterior tongue tie, there are no surgeries available for such and it would be something I would just have to work around. I don't have the book that you mentioned but I will do some more research into the issue to see what else I can try. I am using a nipple shield as of right now. I would like to wean him away from it, but it seems that it's the only thing that works at this point. I can get him to latch without it but it's a terrible latch. He won't open his mouth wide enough for me to get the nipple far enough in his mouth and when he falls off (which happens every few minutes or more) my nipple is kind of flattened as if he were chomping on it, so to speak. Nursing doesn't hurt with the shield, however I should mention that my LC said I should be using a 20mm shield but that seems to cause more pain for whatever reason. When I use the 24mm I think he actually takes more of the breast in his mouth and kind of mimics a proper latch. I don't know what a lactation aid is but I will look into it.

If 2-3 ounces is a complete feed then is he getting nothing from me or am I just overfeeding him? I only started to give him bottles afterward because he wasn't gaining weight and I noticed that after I fed him he was chewing on his hands, I took that as a sign of hunger.

Weight history:
    3/22/13 6 lbs 15 oz (birth weight, hospital scale)
    3/25/13 6 lb 8 oz (discharge weight, hospital scale)
    3/26/13 6 lb 9 oz (ped scale)
    4/23/13 9 lb 5 oz (I was exclusively bottle feeding BM from pumping at this point, ped scale)
    5/17/13 10 lb 12 oz (LC scale)
    5/24/13 10 lb 13 oz (ped scale)
    5/28/13 10 lb 14 oz (LC scale)

The pediatrician's scale is digital, the LC's is not. I don't know if that means anything.
    In a 24 hour period he nurses about 7-8 times
    When I was exclusively pumping and giving bottles he was feeding the same amount of times but eating between 3.5 to 4.5 oz at a time, without hesitation and no fussing.
    When I was EPing I was pumping between 4-5 times a day and getting about 6 ounces at a time, roughly 28 ounces a day, using a medela pump in style.
    Now when I pump after he feeds I get about 2-3 ounces but I only do it about 2-3 times a day at this point.
    His health is otherwise good. He's in the 30th percentile all around, height, weight and head. I think he may have had a slight cold last week. When he spit up it was very mucous-y and the same with his bowel movements, but was still smiley and slept well.

It took every bit of that six weeks for my nipples to heal. They slowly got better but were still bleeding a few weeks after I had stopped nursing. I had blood blisters, deep crevices that continually scabbed, I felt like they would never be the same! I truly needed that time mentally as well. I didn't intend on going back to it, as I had somewhat of a PTSD response when I thought of him latching on, but I was so disappointed that I couldn't make it work. When I went to pack up my nursing pillows, I decided I would give it one more try before calling it quits for sure.

I just want to chime in that your LC was wrong about no options to treat posterior tongue tie. It is possible to have it lasered -in fact, one of the experts in the field, Dr. Kotlow, is in Albany. Here's his website, he has lots of good info and even has a video showing how to check for PTT http://www.kiddsteeth.com/articles.html

Thank you for that website. I've called my pediatrician to discuss what can be done, if anything.