Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freezer failure. Frozen stash gone. Devastated.

Default Freezer failure. Frozen stash gone. Devastated.

Freezer failure yesterday apparently. My entire frozen stash (somewhere around 200 oz, maybe more -- originally from LO's bottle refusal months, and carefully rotated through since then) was fully defrosted when we discovered the problem this morning. I have no words, only tears. I'm already an approved milk donor so my milk bank accepted it (I took it over today, they will pasteurize and use it by tomorrow) so at least it isn't "wasted" (it would have KILLED me to toss it all down the drain). But I am still devastated ... so much time and effort, and now it's gone. He's just turned 1 year and still nurses a lot (and frequently overnight) so I know it isn't an emergency or anything, he will still get plenty of breastmilk from me. Nonetheless I feel like something irreplaceable has been lost and I am just so sad. We hadn't introduced cow milk yet, and he is just starting to really eat solids, so that freezer stash was my safety net so I could I start pump weaning worry-free. Not sure now what the next step should be. I have just enough fresh milk in the fridge for bottles at daycare tomorrow, and that's all. So from this point forward - for the first time ever - I'll only be one day ahead.

He takes about 12 oz of breast milk via bottles each day at daycare, plus some solids. I've been upping his solids at daycare, since his interest suddenly increased a few weeks ago, and he just figured out the straw cup a week ago, so now he takes an ounce or two of water from it with his solids. I have noticed that just in the last week, he only took 10-11 oz breastmilk from the bottles daily, instead of all 12 -- not sure if that was a fluke or really the start of a new pattern. A few weeks ago I cut down from 3 pumps/day at work to 2 (with the intent to pump wean completely over the next couple months). That yields me about 8 oz, then I was grabbing 4 oz frozen to make up the 3rd bottle. I was planning on introducing cow milk at some point, once the freezer stash was used up, figuring that would take us a far ways ... Now that the freezer stash is gone, I'm not sure how I should proceed. Should I go back to 3 pumps/workday (ugh) to keep sending 12 oz of BM? Stay at 2 pumps/day and start sending a few oz cow milk in his 3rd bottle or his straw cup? Push solids frequency/amount on a faster timetable? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Default Re: Freezer failure. Frozen stash gone. Devastated.

Aw, crap! I'd use stronger language but the forum would censor it. I once dumped 5 hard won and freshly pumped ounces on my just-cleaned carpet, and I cried. So I can only imagine how you must feel right now.

At this point, I think I'd try cow's milk. It's fine for him to have it at this point, and if he takes it, then you can continue to work on pump weaning according to your original plan. If he doesn't take it, and he's really miserable without that last 2-4 oz... Then I'd either add that third pump session back in or push solids a bit faster. The problem with solids is that babies aren't always all that interested in them, and even when they are they may not want to eat the healthy, balanced choices. It's often easier to fill out a toddler's diet using breastmilk or animal milk than by getting them to eat a varied diet of solids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh my gosh, that's so awful - so sorry mercystreet! I'm glad you were able to donate it, at least.

I agree with mommal, since you were thinking about cow's milk anyway, this seems as good a time as any to give it a try. If you even need it. He may be fine with 8 oz at daycare.

OK ... cows milk it is. A little earlier than expected, but I guess I should just see this as par for the course in terms of parenting NEVER going as I expected so far. So maybe this is just the universe offering me yet another opportunity to practice flexibility and surrender. At least, that's how I'll try to see it tomorrow, when I'm a little less teary over the whole thing ... for now I'll drown my sorrows in a glass of wine.

I always worried this could happen, but due to something like a hurricane related power outage. Not a stupid mechanical malfunction.

I pumped 4 oz with my manual Harmony tonight. Probably do the same tomorrow. So we have a small cushion in the fridge for the rest of the week. Crossing my fingers LO takes to the cows milk when I introduce it over the next few days.

oh, mama, i'm so sorry! i know how hard it is to transition from the stockpiling mindset to the using up mindset, gradually, and i just can't imagine how you feel to lose so much at once! but it is fantastic that the milk bank took it - that's awesome that you had that set up already so it didn't actually go to waste.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mercystreet View Post
    Crossing my fingers LO takes to the cows milk when I introduce it over the next few days.
    Keep in mind it's like any new food... may take him a few tries (or many) to take to it. Just don't want you to worry if he doesn't take it the first time!

I would cry, too!

So I offered cow milk this weekend to LO in his straw cup. He seemed surprised at the first taste, then curious, and went back for 3-4 more sips. So about the same level of interest as he has in water in the straw cup. I guess that's not bad as far as first exposure goes.

Agreed!