Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old rejecting my breasts

Default 5 month old rejecting my breasts

Hi i have been exclusively breastfeeding my 5 month old daughter who has always been so demanding. But for the last week she has been refusing to feed. I only have to lie her on my lap and she breaks her heart as she knows what's coming. Every day at every feed at the moment is a battle and upsetting for both her and myself. The only way i can give her a good feed is by getting her VERY sleepy, then slowly latching her on. I feel so down about it though as she used to want me constantly for comfort feeds too, and now she doesn't want to know I have gone through so many forums looking for answers but i have tried most of the answers...skin to skin, quiet room. She is teething quite badly and i do give her teetha crystals/teetha gel and they help with her pain, just not feeds. It's awfull as she is such a happy little girl but i always upset her when i try to feed her. I am worried about her not taking enough milk and mu supply. When i do get my princess to feed, she will only drink for 5-8 minutes also, so roughly how long could she go before needing another feed do you think? Some days i feel like just leaving her if she's happy but i did this once yesterday and she went over 3 and a half hours, and screamed because she was obviously hungry, but then i had the trouble of latching her on again because she was starving i think From when she was born she has always fed every 1-2 hours so i am worried to leave her longer. Can someone please help with some advice as i really do not want to stop bf for a while yet and i want to overcome this and enjoy our calm bond which we used to have. Oh i forgot to mention...when she wakes in the middle of the night, she wants me straight away no matter how awake or sleepy she is. I just have this problem through the daytime?? Sorry for such a long thread, i am new to this site and just wanted to give as much info as i could about my LO, Thankyou, Zoe

Default Re: 5 month old rejecting my breasts

Welcome to the forum!

Have you had baby in to the pediatrician? Sometimes an ear infection can cause issues with feeding, and also with sleeping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hello, yes i took her last week and asked my GP to do a full routine check on her ears, nose and throat and all was clear

Okay, then I'm gong to blame 2 things that are often a problem around this age: teething and distractibility. You can't do much about teething except to wait for the teeth to work their way through. Distractible babies sometimes nurse more if you take them into a calm, quiet, dark location in order to nurse. A darkened bedroom is a common choice. When there's not much to look at and mom and baby are just lying there together, all calm and cuddly... Well, baby thinks, I'm so bored that I might as well nurse...! I know you've already tried this but I'd keep trying it. And definitely keep nursing at night. Babies who are tough to nurse during daylight hours often make up for their daytime reluctance by nursing more at night. That can be really, really hard on mom- I am sure you wouldn't mind a little more sleep! But staying accessible at night is a terrific way to keep your nursing relationship alive.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thankyou I don't mind nursing at night as its the only feeds i/we enjoy most...all is calm and quiet and i feel she wants her mummies comfort at those times. It is very hard in the day though. I have read a little on, what they call 'A NOSY Baby' and my LO is always looking around. It doesn't help having 3 older brothers running around that she can here while i am trying to nurse her. It's just strange thats it has happened all of a sudden as you couldn't prize her off me a few weeks ago since birth. But i guess it's her age now hey. Thankyou for your advice, i will keep trying in my bedroom with the curtains and door shut and hopefully things will get better. You don't think it's her way of telling me she wants to wean do you? I feel like i am being selfish making her continue breastfeeding if she no longer wants that

Hi! It is practically unheard of for such a small baby to wean. Twoish is more like it. Just keep plugging away!

Definitely not baby telling you she's ready to wean. What would she wean to, at just 5 months? Solids? She's not even supposed to have them yet. This is just classic distractibility.

You are not being "selfish' by continuing to nurse. You're patiently offering baby the best food on the planet- what in the world could be selfish about that?

Hi,
    Had the same problem when dd was 5 months ,it lasted for 20 days totally in between she was sick,but she nursed then and resumed her strike when better . Now she is13 months and still nurses.
    Things which I think worked were
    Putting her to sleep at signs of tiredness and then feeding, totally not offering for a day feeding her in sleep only
    Feeding in sleep
    Changing position, pretending to play with her on bed lying down next to her with breast exposed then snuggling her
    Warm baths with her
    catching her unaware watching her cues carefully in a new place , even fed her standing, u have to quickly thrust breast into mouth
    Try feeding by the window so that she can look out while feeding
    Personally I don't know what worked , the strike ended as abruptly as it came
    Last edited by @llli*lllsmum; June 1st, 2013 at 02:09 AM.

I have also found that my 6.5 month old LOVES to nurse while playing on the floor when she is in a distracted state of mind. She thinks it is a fun game to roll over and latch on while I am laying next to her! Standing up to nurse has worked too, when we are following her cousins around...she's heavy to carry that way, but she feels like she can see more from up high, I suspect.

Thankyou everyone for your advice Today has been a lot better. Still rocking her to settle her first before even attempting to get my breast out for her...but she's been latching on with her eyes still open but in a daze I feel more positive after today now. I am unable to try the standing up feeding as I have a herniated disc and arthritis in my spine so I struggle to carry her as it is. She is starting to realise that when I take her upstairs now and draw the curtains that it is mommy and baby relax/feeding time. It has taken the whole week of this routine but now she is getting the idea. Thankyou for making me feel better about not feeling so selfish, I was just getting to such a low point up until today. It is good to know I am not alone with these feeding strikes and that help and advice is out there...and most importantly there is light at the end of the tunnel