Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood when pumping - no pain or discomfort

Default Blood when pumping - no pain or discomfort

I just finished a pumping session for my 7-month-old, and glanced down to notice bloody milk in the right breast shield. The milk in the bottle looks fine, so if there's blood in it, there's not much.

But it didn't hurt. It wasn't uncomfortable. If anything, i was worried i might have had the pump set a little too low this time. My breast and nipple both look and feel fine, even if i prod them. I already pumped twice today before this, and had no trouble then.

So where did the blood come from? Should i be worried?

(I pump 3-4 times a day while my baby is at day care, and he nurses nights and weekends.)

Default Re: Blood when pumping - no pain or discomfort

Not to worry. Occasional bloody milk is an occupational hazard of pumping. The blood vessels in the breast are small and fragile, and break very easily and often painlessly. They also tend to heal rapidly, usually by the next time you need to nurse or pump.

It only takes a very small amount of blood to tint the milk a truly shocking color, but if bloody milk disturbs you, just let it sit in the fridge. The blood will sink to the bottom of the bottle, and you will be able to pour off the clean fraction on top.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Blood when pumping - no pain or discomfort

Wow, thanks for the rapid and informative response. I feel better already!