Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting

Default Biting

My 5.5 month old just got her two bottom teeth. Not a big deal, except...

we are not your average nursing pair. I have been feeding her unilaterally for about 3 months. I have pumped the other breast and it produces about 3oz/day. She actually went from the 90th percentile for weight to the 95th in the last month, so it's clear to me she is completely nourished from the large breast. Top this off with only feeding in the side lying position (every time for the last 4 months because of OALD/oversupply initially) and some food allergies. Anyway, we're still going and have a good relationship.

She has seemed extra hungry lately. I have been offering the under producing breast just as a "top off" after nursing the other side. She started biting the under producing breast, it drew blood. She keeps seeming to want more milk after nursing sessions, but she isn't crying or fussy, just seems to wish there was more.

To prevent a nursing strike (I'm afraid of yelping after another bite), should I just give up on the small breast for good? She won't even take it in her sleep anymore. I know the nipple is quite different and feels very different when she latches than the side she prefers. She is EBF, good diaper output.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Biting

I wouldn't give up on the small breast, because it always pays to have a backup. What if baby bites the larger side and suddenly you don't want to nurse on it? In that situation, the small side could come in handy, provided baby will still take it. I would actually start offering the small side at the beginning of every feeding, when baby is more hungry and less likely to fool around and bite. Not only would you be less likely to be bit- hypothetically, anyway- but you might also even put the size difference between the two sides.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, I agree with you. Just wondering though, say she accepts it at the beginning of a feed and refuses to finish it out of frustration and then wants the other side? This has happened many, many times and I felt it was contributing to some of the green stools. Since the production is so low at this point do you think it would cause green stools again? I do think she truly has some food sensitivities that cause blood/green poops but I also think part of it was me always trying to force the small breast on her and she'd only take it for maybe 3-4 minutes every single time, never finishing it.
    and Mama to two little girls

If she takes the smaller breast but doesn't completely drain it, it's really not a problem. With such low production on that side, it is not going to cause any issues with green poop- for that to happen, you need lactose overload and lactose overload comes from oversupply. And if you do see green poops- still not a problem, provided baby is growing and developing normally. In a healthy, happy, growing baby, green poops are just a variation of normal. Not a health issue.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"