Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going away for 2 days - Do I need to pump?

Default Going away for 2 days - Do I need to pump?

My daughter will be 20 months when I will be going away (2 days and a night) for a work trip.

She nurses 2-3 times on days that I work (first thing in the morning, first thing when I come back from work, and before bed) and anywhere from 3-5 times on weekends when she has more access.

I haven't pumped during the day for months now and at times I've gone for 24 hours without nursing (e.g. I nursed her in the morning, came home after she was already asleep and the next nursing was the following morning) without leaking or engorgement, but this will be 48 hours and I'm not sure what the best course of action is.

Should I bring my PISA (what a PITA! HAHA!) or would hand-expressing in the shower likely be sufficient?

I would appreciate any advice!
    Last edited by @llli*luckypixie; May 29th, 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Default Re: Going away for 2 days - Do I need to pump?

I went away for that long when my daughter was 19 mos and I was miserable by the end of the second day. BUT I was never able to figure out how to hand express. I bet that would be good enough if you can do it enough to relieve the discomfort.

I don't know how you're traveling, but if its possible to bring the pump and leave it in the trunk of a car or something it might be worth it. If it involved packing it in luggage or carrying it around, probably not so much.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

i took my pump on a 4 night 5 day trip at 20 months, expecting to need it to pump to comfort since DS was still nursing a LOT, and ended up not using it once - which was wonderful. but i would definitely take it.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Just wanted to update the thread in case it's every useful to anybody. I brought my pump along but I didn't end up needing it, which was pretty awesome. That and a full night sleep alone.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luckypixie View Post
    That and a full night sleep alone.
    Sounds heavenly!!