Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this lipase??

Default Is this lipase??

My mother just called... LO is 6 months old, I have been pumping since he was 7 weeks. She went to heat up a bottle today (pumped yesterday) and baby refused it. She noticed that it was "curdling". She said it smells bad. She tried another bottle, same results and baby will not eat it. She sent me pics and it looks like the fatty part of the milk is curdling. So am I dealing with lipase here? I so hope not, but it really sounds like it.

This milk was between 12-24 hours old. I have some frozen too, but so far that seems ok although LO does not care for frozen milk. He will eat it, but you can tell her prefers not to.

Help ladies!!
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Default Re: Is this lipase??

IDK if this is lipase or not, but at this point I would scald within a day and see if that helps.

Can you give the expressed milk a taste test?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I went and picked up a thermometer at lunch today so that I could scald tonight. My mom is saving the last jar of milk for me to test tonight. The texture changing seems odd to me?

I actually just came across this post as well: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ical-Oxidation and got to thinking about all the things that were new yesterday..

I was out of town last week for 4 days, Fedexed my pump to the hotel I was staying at, then Fedexed it back home. I had not pumped in 10 days and yesterday was the first day. Also the first time we have ever had an issue with the milk.

Lots of variables!! I guess the first action plan will be to scald.. then go from there.

Just keep on keepin' on, mama. I hope you find the solution to this problem really soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Lol, thats motherhood isn't it?

I figured I would update - I checked out the milk from the 28th last night. I usually have 3 6oz jars full. My mom had saved all bottles and all milk. Both bottles looked gross, smelled ok, but tasted horrible. The last jar in the fridge actually smelled and tasted fine. I split that jar in half and scaled half, and left the other half in the fridge to see how it held up to today. I scalded the rest of my milk that I had pumped yesterday. For reference, I used this method http://simplyrebekah.com/2010/05/03/...g-breast-milk/ nd it worked fine but a little drawn out. I may opt for something that I can scald all at once tonight.

My mom told me this morning that the scaleded milk from the 28th was good, and the unscalded was not. So it appears this is excessive lipase. Guess you can't win em all! It's funny how each experience has been different with my babies. The first was a breastfeeding champ, but had silent reflux and we struggled with soooo much in the early months, pumped for a year and never had issues that I can recall. The second I am dealing with OALD and now lipase. I am thankful that my supply is not an issue and that I can still use the pumped milk

I love your very scientific approach to the problem! I'm definitely going to recommend that to moms who suspect lipase.

So glad you figured this out.