Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going on vacation- time to wean?

Default Going on vacation- time to wean?

DH and I are going on vacation in July for 7 days without the kids. DS 13 mos, is nursing 4-6 times during a 24 hour period. Usually once in the morning, before each nap, before bed and 1-2 times per night. I don't have a lot of breastmilk stored up as pumping has always been difficult. I'm concerned about him having a hard time during those sleep transitions without me here, and about trying to pump on vacation. Is it time to wean or is there a way I can avoid that? What would you do?

Default Re: Going on vacation- time to wean?

If you're asking what I would do, my honest answer would be that I would not leave a baby that age who nurses that frequently for seven days. Is there any way you can take him with you?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

DH's company is paying for a trip to Hawaii. It's a trip I never thought I'd get to take in my lifetime, and it's all expenses paid. I have seriously thought about passing it up, but it's very important to DH and I just can't say no. If DS were younger, I would most definitely not go. But seeing as how he's a toddler, eating solid foods for most meals and a healthy, happy boy... it makes it a bit easier to leave him with grandma. I did ask if we could bring him, and unfortunately, taking him with is not an option I wish he could come with!!

Hi mama, I went on a work trip for 4 nights/5 days when my LO was 13 months old. For me pumping twice a day - once in the morning and once in the night - was plenty to avoid engorgement and keep my milk from drying out. For you it may be different, but the point is, you don't need to pump every 3 hours while on vacation. Unlike a younger infant, you don't need to maintain your supply full bore - even if your supply drops a bit while you're on vacation, when you're back with your son he'll nurse to get it back up to where he wants it to be. You might also want to get used to the pump by pumping a little beforehand leading up to the trip. Not every day because you don't want to amp up your supply too much before going on vacation, but maybe every few days. And that way you have a little milk stored up in the fridge that grandma can use at bedtime. Anyway, personally I would not wean at this point, I really think you and your LO can get through this. In terms of the sleep transitions - I think grandma will find a way. Does she live nearby, or is she coming specifically to babysit while you are away? If she lives nearby, you might want to have her handle some naptimes before the trip, for example - you leave the house to do an errand (if you're around, DS will want to nurse) and let her put him down. But even if not, they will figure out their own routine.

Too bad they said no about bringing him along, but man, it does sound like a fantasy get-a-way. That would be hard for anyone to pass up!

I agree with the above. I don't think you have to wean to go on the trip. Get a few extra pumping sessions in to save up a bit more milk if you can and see if grandma can come practice some bedtimes ahead of time. I know when I left my DH with my 9 mo old for a night away I was really concerned about night time because she was still a frequent night nurser. It turned out that when I wasn't there, she woke just as frequently, but went back to sleep without even a bottle because she just knew the boob wasn't available. It turned out to be much easier than expected. Hopefully, your LO does the same. Does he drink cow's milk? Or if not, is there an available replacement for something to go in the bottles if there isn't enough breast milk saved?

I would take your pump and nurse at least 2-3 times per day (or whenever you feel uncomfortably full) to keep your supply up and to avoid engorgement (you definitely don't want to get mastitis on vacation). And have fun!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

That is encouraging Grandma lives a few miles away and has done the nap time/bedtime ritual several times without a problem. DS doesn't NEED to nurse to go to sleep, unless he sees me. Then all bets are off and he's got to have boob. DH puts him to bed at least once every week or so when I am not home. Usually a bottle or a cup of water will suffice. We also take turns at middle of the night duty. Nap time hasn't been a problem without me either. babysitter, daddy, big brother and grandma have all handled nap time successfully. I guess when i think about it, he hasn't really given me any reason to think he will have a problem. I have just never been away for an extended period of time like this, so how he will deal with that is unpredictable. But he will have his brother and sisters and his grandma. He does drink water and cows milk and he eats just about anything that we do.
    I will try to pump a bit more in the meantime, and take the pump with me when we go. We will see how it goes This will probably be harder for me than the kids!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ndilemma View Post
    This will probably be harder for me than the kids!
    You're probably right! Sounds like you have your bases covered though. Enjoy the trip!

Honestly I can't imagine going away for 7 days when my daughter was that young. Not just because she would have had a hard time without me, but also because I'd have to pump-pump-pump while away to keep up my milk production.

I certainly won't be pump-pump-pumping while I'm gone. The whole point is to get some much needed away time with my hubby and that might ruin the mood I'll do what I can with the time that I have, and if my milk production comes to a halt and we aren't able to return to nursing when I'm home, so be it. We've made it 13 months- 14 months by the time we leave. That is longer than I made it with any of the other 3 children. I'm pretty proud of making it this far. I'd be sad to have it end earlier than I'd imagined, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either.

i agree with PPs - take your pump, DO pump while you're gone (i'd probably do more than just 'to comfort' because i'd want to keep my supply up a little more, maybe 4x a day - your DH is going to be working, right?), and enjoy the time. be prepared for weaning, but i honestly wouldn't expect it, given my experiences and what i've heard from others.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.