Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning?

Default Weaning?

I have an 11 month old and due to our difficult and sometimes tramatic breastfeeding realationship I am starting to think about weaning.

This is my second child, but my first child self weaned at 10 months so I really have no idea how to go about weaning. In fact, even though I pumped from the time she was 10 months until she hit a year, I still had trouble weaning from the pump. I backed off one session a week from her birthday, and by the third week I had mastitis.

With my second, she is showing no signs of ever wanting to stop nursing. Even though I pump and feed her expressed milk for three of her feedings during the day, she is extremely attached to me and always ready to nurse in the mornings and the evenings.

I am concerned about getting mastitis again as well as making things difficult on my little one. What is the best way to make this as easy as possible for both of us?

Default Re: Weaning?

bump

What is traumatic and difficult about your breastfeeding relationship? Why do you pump? Do you pump at work?
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

I pump because I work. We have had a difficult time nursing since day 1. She has a very poor latch that has not been corrected with occupational therapy, speech therapy or even the help of a lactation consultant or nipple shield. My nipples are constantly cracked and bleeding, or I get plugged ducts and mastitis because she can't empty my breasts fully. Since she was little, her mouth works so hard she is constantly exhausted. She will not nurse at night because she either sleeps through or when I wake her she nurses for a minute and then goes back to sleep. We have passed thrush back and forth several times. My list can go on and on. THe only physical thing that could be found was a weak suck, tounge thrust and poor lip seal due to weak mouth and facial muscles. I feel like I have been fighting a war this year.

It's amazing that you've battled on this far.

When weaning is baby-led, it's usually pretty easy. Unless the baby goes on an abrupt nursing strike, the way your first baby did, the weaning process is generally very long, taking many months or even years to complete. This long goodbye gives supply plenty of time to slowly decrease, reducing the chance that mom will get engorged or come down with plugged ducts or mastitis. If you pursue mother-led weaning, you want to try to mimic this slow process to a certain extent. Cut a single feeding from your day and replace it with solids or a bottle of formula (if baby is <1 year) or whole cow's milk (if baby is >1 year). Wait a few days, and then cut out another feeding.

Mother-led weaning isn't something that is likely to happen without stress, sadness, and pushback from the baby. An older nursling who knows exactly what she wants and how to express her desires- she's not going to give up without some sort of struggle. It really helps to do some or all of the following:
    - Avoid your customary nursing locations. If baby sees you sitting in your favorite nursing chair, that may cue her to nurse.
    - Stay out and about as much as possible. Babies often forget to nurse when out in public, where there are so many interesting things to see and do.
    - Get help! If dad or grandma can take over for you at nursing time, baby will not want to nurse because substitute caregivers don't have what baby wants. Having a sub take over at bedtime, naotime, or the first morning wake-up can be really helpful, because in my experience those are the feedings that babies Rely on more than any others.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for the response. I am having some guilty feelings over wanting to be done especially because I was so heart broken when my oldest stopped. However, with her getting teeth that scrape every time she nurses whether she is biting or not, I am bleeding after almost every feeding or having to pull her off to stop the bleeding, which makes her absoloutely furious.
    I am definately going to avoid our favorite nursing spot because as soon as I sit down there she starts asking to nurse. Again thank you for the support.