Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding for 9 weeks now and about ready to give up

Default Breastfeeding for 9 weeks now and about ready to give up

Hello. I am feeling a little down right now... I have a great baby who is doing very well and we have been doing well nursing for close to 9 weeks now and all of a sudden about a week ago things just got hard and its like we both forgot how to breastfeed. It seems that the positioning is off for both of us. He seems to latch on and off and i seem to not be holding him right since he is longer now.

Background on our breastfeedng journey so far:
    5 weeks: Football hold (looove it but he got too long to continue)
    3 weeks: Cradle hold and cross cradle hold. Started using breastfeeding pillow but then was able to not use it for the past two weeks and started moving from the nursery--- Downstairs in front of the tv---- Downstairs on our rocker and was even able to do it at the doctors office two weeks ago! We kept having progress..

My frusteration stems from the fact that I work at home with a job that does not have too much flexability and am trying to breastfeed while at work. My baby eats at the same time everyday which makes it nice but even with 30 minutes there is not a whole lot of room for problems. I am trying to feed him while at work at:
    8:00-
    11:00-
    2:00-
    5:00 Daddy gives baby bottle
    8:00- Last feeding for the night

I am frusterated because everyone says at the 8 week mark things get easier and that is when all my problems started. I have contemplated stopping but want to continue for health benefits. Any one else get frusterated? Any one else having problems?

Default Re: Breastfeeding for 9 weeks now and about ready to give up

Breastfeeding while trying to work sounds very challenging. It's understandable that you're frustrated! My babies are 11 weeks and I've found that my positions and techniques have had to evolve as they've grown. I wonder if nursing with a sling could work for you? It sounds tough to learn, but many women are able to do it. There are a lot of YouTube videos showing how to do it. Sounds like even though nursing while working is tough, it might be even tougher to have to make and wash bottles, and unless you have help you would still have to feed your baby, making nursing the better option of the two. I definitely didn't find the 8 week mark to be the easiest. Right now at 11 weeks things are just starting to improve (less fussiness, shorter nursing sessions, more comfortable positions), so you could be just around the corner from a less frustrating time. Hang in there!

While things will get better, nursing is also a roller coaster. Everyone told ME it would get better at 12 weeks. Miraculously it did. 8 weeks - I remember it and it was rough. Of course there's no guarantee 12 weeks is a magic bullet. I mention the roller coaster because even when you're past that super challenging newborn stage you have lots of growth spurts and developmental milestones - which happen to also be distractions. And teething! I have to say, nursing is hard work! I suppose a bottle might appeal to some moms because a bottle can't bite, but there are still the changes in baby that make feeding challenging at times. All I can say is we're 10.5 months into our nursing relationship and I'm proud of every single day and the many to come.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

I wonder if one problem is the scheduling. A baby nurses best if baby can nurse when baby wants. Some babies adjust to schedules ok, but it really is not the 'normal' way for a baby to eat.

I assume you have appointments or something, and that is why you have these specific nursing windows?

Also, your baby goes without eating for 12 hours???????????, or do you nurse baby at night but left those sessions out of the scedule? Because 5 feedings in a 24 hour day is way on the low side. Probably too low.

Are the bottle feedings needed? Breastfeeding issues can be caused by bottles and can creep up on you. If there is no way around the bottles, these tips may help. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

positions-pp has good idea. Also, you are at home right? What about sidelying? or laid back? I have had three long babies and cradle type holds stop working for me early on with all. Baby wants to have head tilted slightly back for comfortable drinking (think of how you drink a glass of water.) If baby is too curled, the chin tucks.

Hello!

Thank you for all the responses! My baby feeding schedule has always been at the same times and like clock work he gets hungry at those times and this made it easier for me at work! I have set appointments and so my baby is so nice to set times and trust me if he gets hungry before then we have bottles of breastmilk but has not needed it yet and i have been back at work for 3 weeks now. Even while on maternity leave those times seemed to be the times he ate. My doctor says that the baby is doing well and perfect weight gain and to continue what i am have been doing. Yes sorry!! He is not going 12 hours! He eats at around 4:00 AM with a breastfed bottle. I am physically nursing him 4 times a day at work and then he is getting 2 bottles, 1 at 5 PM and one in the middle of the night. I also pumping 3 times a day.

I want to also say that we seem to be remembering what to do now and it seemed like with the other responses above he is growing and needs to be repositioned. I am having more success now and so lucky to be able to breastfeed while at work! Great tips on side lying i might need to try that since he is sooo long.. Thank you for all the support it helps me be more confident to continue..

Thank you for the reponse! I am hanging in and luckily have someone here the whole time i am working at home. I just need to keep changing with the baby and not expect perfection.. I might try the sling once we are over this hump and it seems to be going better now! I have had successful feedings all day today!! Also, I work 4 10 hour shifts so Friday- Sunday there is not crunch for time and time for us to practice! Thank you!!!