Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just about cut the cord but still BF once a day

Default Just about cut the cord but still BF once a day

I had to stop breast feeding because my milk seemed to dry up with the exception of the first feeding of the day so that is all we have now. Baby for sure misses the boob as he cried yesterday till I put him on the boob and I am pretty sure he was just pacifiying but not getting anything from me. I as well am having trouble, feeling very sad to have stopped.

Default Re: Just about cut the cord but still BF once a day

If he is sad to have stopped, and you are sad to have stopped, why wean? In general, a baby who is nursed on demand will be able to stimulate a normal supply and will be able to get milk even if you feel "empty" pretty much all the time. And even if there is some reason for your milk to have disappeared, you can still retain nursing as a mothering tool, something which will help your baby through things like teething, transitioning into sleep, illness, injuries...

If you feel like sharing why you feel like your milk supply has vanished, we can either reassure you or we can help you get it back.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am sure my supply has diminished because we are appart and pumping doesnt seem to be doing the trick. For weeks he has refused the breast and now that I dont offer I have a fussy baby and and very sad me. Would like to get my supply back as I dont feel either of us were ready for this.

How often are you pumping, for how long, and with what kind of a pump? New or used? How many hours are you apart from baby? Can you explain what you mean by pumping isn't doing the trick? How old is your baby?

I was pumping 3 times in a 10 hour period for 15-20 minutes a day, when I got home I would always try to feed him until he went to bed which was about 4 hours. He slept through the nite and I would normally wake very full/engorged. The first feeding of the morning has always been consistent and great. I use a New Spectra Dew 350 Advanced Double Electric Hospital Grade. He is 5 months old. Before I went back to work my supply was fine now that I pump a lot and not BF it seems to have gone down. Baby won't take pumped milk only formula.

So how much milk where you getting when you were on that schedule? Also, I'm a little confused - are you still pumping now? If so, how often? And how often are you nursing? When you say baby won't take pumped milk - he just refuses it? Was he drinking it before?

The supply and demand equation still holds... if you nurse and pump more, your supply should pick back up.

I have since quite pumping, but when I was one that schedule I would get roughly 4 ounces for the whole day. I am only nursing for the first feeding of the day which he does just fine. He had been refusing the breast which is what started all this. When I started back at work he would take bottled breast milk just fine but started to refuse that about a month ago, So now anything I pump goes in the freezer, not my biggest concern. I regret making this decision and plan to get back on the pumping horse as soon as I am home and try to feed him every time he is hungry and then go with the bottle if he doesnt get enough from me. Was I pumping enough, would there be any other reason he would refuse the breast and/or the bottled breast milk.

Hmm, that's puzzling. 4 ounces is not much for the whole day. It sounds like your pump frequency was pretty good - some mothers need more sessions, like 4 in a 10 hour day. And your pumping length was also about average - again, some mothers needs longer, like up to half an hour or more, but 15-20 minutes is fairly average. And you were using a hospital grade pump. So I'm not sure why you were getting so little unless the pump was literally malfunctioning, which of course can happen. You might want to call the manufacturer and see if they can help you troubleshoot.

I guess at this point, what is your goal? It sounds like the first goal might be to simply get him back to nursing more often. He is still nursing well the first feeding of the day which is a good sign. Are you offering at other times of day as well? When you get home? Overnight? What is your sleeping situation? I know you said he is sleeping through the night but a good way to get your supply back up would be to nurse a couple times at night as well. Having baby close by - in bed with you or at least within arm's reach - and not using sleep-extending techniques - swaddler, pacifier - may help encourage nighttime nursing. Using the pump, whether at work or at home, will also help stimulate supply, regardless of how much you are getting out.

Babies do refuse the breast for various reasons - that's a nursing strike. Here's more information about that: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

As for refusing the bottled breastmilk, could there be a lipase issue? Did you taste the milk he refused? Any soapy or rancid smell or taste?

One thing that I think is important to remember is, whether you end up partially supplementing with formula or not, continuing your breastfeeding relationship with your baby still has huge benefits for both you and baby!

My goal is to be his primary source of food when we are together, I am curious that his possible strike is over, yesterday he nursed for a while then took a full bottle. It was obvious he just wanted me, which was awesome, hadnt had that in a while but I guess I didnt get the hint till I wasn't with him and the utmost sadness set it. I am going to get my pump checked out and take a nursing vacation this weekend and hope it helps to get us back of track. Thanks for all your help I can honeslty say I feel better and look forward to going home and nursing my little man.

Sounds like a good plan!