Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nasty smelling/tasting bm...lipase to blame I suppose?

Default Nasty smelling/tasting bm...lipase to blame I suppose?

So, I just realized my bm from the freezer is tasting rather nasty (vomit more like). I have a small stash and I pump a couple times a day in small amounts to get extra for cereal, occasional bottle etc. now that this bm is rancid tasting what do I do? I have about 100 oz or so and don't want to chuck it. I read that you can scald it, but I only freeze 3oz bags. How long is the bm good for after its scalded? I'm thinking 3 oz even in my smallest pot would heat up very quickly.

Any way to avoid this in the future? Because I only pump small amounts, my milk is bagged after a few of refrigeration.

Default Re: Nasty smelling/tasting bm...lipase to blame I suppose?

So sorry mama. Lipase is a bummer!! There's nothing you can do after the milk has that rancid taste. From what I've read, it won't hurt baby if she will drink it. Mine wouldn't though so I threw out over 100ozs after I discovered I had lipase. As for boiling small amounts, I bought a very small pot with spouts on the side just for milk scalding. I do 3ozs all the time with no problem. I did discover recently (with mammal's help : ) that I needed to use a lid to prevent evaporation. GL!!!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

So how long does scalded milk last for? How long can it sit in the fridge? Also, does scalding previous frozen milk not remedy the yucky taste?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tampamama View Post
    So sorry mama. Lipase is a bummer!! There's nothing you can do after the milk has that rancid taste. From what I've read, it won't hurt baby if she will drink it. Mine wouldn't though so I threw out over 100ozs after I discovered I had lipase. As for boiling small amounts, I bought a very small pot with spouts on the side just for milk scalding. I do 3ozs all the time with no problem. I did discover recently (with mammal's help : ) that I needed to use a lid to prevent evaporation. GL!!!

I believe the scalding trick is intended for treating the freshly pumped milk PRIOR to freezing, not after. So milk you've pumped can be scalded, then frozen, and when it's defrosted, it won't taste yucky. I think some moms choose to save up several pump sessions worth of milk to combine and scald, then freeze in small portions. (However, other moms please correct me if I'm wrong & previously frozen milk can also be scalded??)

Have you offered your previously frozen milk to baby yet? Are you sure baby will reject it? My milk always has a slightly funny smell and taste after being frozen, compared to fresh, but my baby never seemed to care, so I never bothered to see if scalding would make a difference

If baby totally refuses it, you can always look into milk donation. A milk bank would love to have your precious 100 oz! They combine and pasteurize all donated milk so the lipase wouldn't matter.
    https://www.hmbana.org/
    Even if you aren't located near a milk bank, many of them will provide the materials to ship your frozen milk.

Ok, from what I have been reading, once it tastes like crap, it stays tasting like crap. Anyone know the best foods that disguise the taste? I'm grasping at straws here. I really don't want to toss it. I looked into donation but I take meds for gastric reflux and domperidone so I can't donate
    Last edited by @llli*bonniefleming; May 28th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.

Ok, gonna try to selvage my frozen lipase bm by making yogurt! I'll update if I'm successful!