Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bad biter!

Angry bad biter!

my 9 MO son has gotten into a bad biting habit. I can tell he is testing me, because he looks at me, nipple in mouth, and starts to clamp down, and I tell him n o biting, and he clamps down a little harder, and I tell him no, that hurts, and then he chomps. I remove him, and he doesn't seem to care. then when he returns, he does it again. sometimes there is no warning and he just chomps. it hurts like hell.

I'm so ready to quit, because nursing him has become so unpleasant, between the biting, the scratching, and the fact that he doesn't care if he gets removed. of course he gets fussy then, cuz he doesn't get his milk, but he doesn't put two and two together.

thanks mommas!

Default Re: bad biter!

This may not help but I had this same experience when my son was 11 months. One day he just started biting. He wouldn't even try to nurse! I would put him down on the floor to create a feeling of separation and he would laugh! After a few days of this (biting every time and NO nursing), I stopped nursing him...
    Mommy to Cole born April 10, 2010 BF for 11 1/2 months!
    DD, Ayla, born August 16, 2012.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    Weight leaving hospital-5lbs 14oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz

Just keep being calm and consistent. It can take a baby a good while to make the biting = end of nursing connection.

Patience is your friend! I'm really sorry you're getting chomped on, mama. I know how rotten that can be.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alexx View Post
    my 9 MO son has gotten into a bad biting habit. I can tell he is testing me, because he looks at me, nipple in mouth, and starts to clamp down, and I tell him n o biting, and he clamps down a little harder, and I tell him no, that hurts, and then he chomps. I remove him, and he doesn't seem to care. then when he returns, he does it again. sometimes there is no warning and he just chomps. it hurts like hell.
    I am sorry you are getting bitten -- it really stinks! We worked through a biting phase too ... I know it feels like a big violation of the trust of the nursing relationship.

My one suggestion here is to make your response more immediate and consistent. Based on your description, you're letting him bite you several times (to varying degrees) before you take him off. Try reacting swiftly at the first sign of the start of the bite -- as SOON as he starts to bite, pop him off, tell him "No biting" (or whatever verbalization you prefer) and set him down/pass him off. The boundary (that biting = no nursing or cuddles) has to be firm for the message to get through. Even then it can take some time, but I think you have a better shot at success if the reaction is really consistent. Good luck!