Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping to increase?

Default pumping to increase?

So a few months ago I got paranoid that my supply was low and I started pumping daily for about a week, then a LC told me not to bother so I stopped... it only occurred to me recently that there were a few days after that week that my lo slept better at night and I wondered if that could have had anything to do with the pumping??? I definitely had more milk because I pumped at the same time every day and got more as the week went on...

Now I'm wondering about doing it again, couldn't hurt I guess and I'd love to be able to try going out for the evening again sometime so it would be handy to have some milk stored.

Just wondering what time of day is better because when I did it before it was in the morning when I had plenty of milk already (makes sense since it wouldn't effect the baby) but since my milk is lower at night is there any logic to the idea of pumping at night?

Also, can any of you suggest a resource for determining if you have an adequate supply with an older baby (almost 8 months)? She's definitely healthy but I do think her growth has slowed down a bit (that's probably normal! I know!) just wondering how many ounces she should be packing on per week or month on average is anyone knows I'm interested!

Thanks

Default Re: pumping to increase?

Here's some information from kelly mom about average weight gain at different ages: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

As you can see from looking at the link, weight gain does slow down in the second half of the first year (and even more after that!).

Has baby's weight gain been fine so far? What made you think that your supply had gone down when you were pumping before?

Not sure I agree with the idea that pumping "couldn't hurt," because it is possible to pump yourself into an oversupply if you are pumping on top of nursing on demand. Then you can find yourself dealing with plugged ducts, engorgement, and mastitis. In general, if you are concerned about supply, and you are with baby most/all of the time, you may find it easier and safer to simply offer to nurse more. The reason is, baby won't overfeed herself. So, if she needs more, she'll nurse more, and your supply will respond by increasing. And if she doesn't need it, why create a potential problem by pumping?

If you do want to pump occasionally for an evening out or to store some milk, then most mothers do find the morning the easiest time to pump, for the reason that you mention - that you have the most milk at that time.

with the PP.

I doubt the pumping you did earlier on was related to the longer sleep stretches. Probably a fluke. You know how babies LOVE to throw those sleep curveballs, getting out hopes way, way up and then dashing them!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You're right that the sleep was probably a fluke.. wish she'd through us a few of those more often!

When I was worried about my supply before I was pumping for a trip at the time and found that I could only get 1 ounce at any time.. I know I know I know, baby removes milk from the breast different than pump, better than pump? I do nurse on demand but there are times when she doesn't want to nurse (or not for very long anyway) because she's too distracted.. and then she makes up for that at night! So after pumping for a week I was getting 2 ounces at any time and thought that might help her get more too...

Her weight gain was really good from the beginning.. not sure how much it's slowed down now, I'll have to do some math!

Thanks for the link!

Well, the thing is, your supply will regulate to match demand. So if you start pumping on top of on-demand nursing when your supply is already well regulated, then you would not expect to be able to pump much. Plus, your body needs to get used to pumping. And, as you mention, baby often does extract milk more efficiently than the pump. Bottom line, pump output in this type of situation is NOT a good indicator of supply.

In terms of your distractible baby - that is classic behavior for an 8 month old! Along with the increased nighttime nursing. Doesn't hurt to offer frequently, but again - don't take it as a sign of supply if baby is too busy doing other things. Sounds like things are going just fine!