Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Egg allergy?

Default Egg allergy?

I'm wondering how egg white allergies usually present themselves. DD (9 months) has had egg yolk a couple of times, no reaction. Today at brunch, I ordered her a scrambled egg yolk. When they brought it, there were a few strains of white, but it just looked like they hadn't been diligent about separating it out. I picked around the white and just gave her pieces of the yellow, and tbh, she didn't really eat that much. Fast forward 3 hours, and she's vomited fairly copious amounts of breastmilk and mucous about 4 times in an hour. No fever, her tummy is soft, and she's sleeping on me as long as I keep her mostly upright. Is this typical of an egg white sensitivity?

I appreciate any insight. This is the first time she's really been sick like this, and it makes me anxious!

Default Re: Egg allergy?

Maybe it was other bacteria not the white itself. Like from the person who prepared it or the surface it was prepared in and big tummy could have handled it, but little tummy could not. Or a processed oil or spread that it was scrambled in. Is this the first food DD has ever had that wasn't prepared at home?
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

My DD2 had an egg white allergy. It presented as hives, particularly around her mouth. No vomitting. So I'd say that what you saw could easily be something else, like a tummy bug, as the PP suggested.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, this was the first time that she'd had anything prepared by anyone other than me or my SIL. I don't think I'll be repeating that anytime soon! But I think you guys might be right in thinking that it was something else. She spit up a little bit about half hour ago, but hasn't really vomited in at least 4 hours. She also had a good poop, so I think she might've just had a tummy upset. Thanks for the input

My DS had a similar reaction after trying egg yolk the for the 2nd (or 3rd?) time. He was 7 months old.
    He seemed totally fine, then about 2 hours later he woke up suddenly from napping in his stroller and threw up ALL OVER himself. He continued vomiting for the rest of the afternoon, but by evening he was all better. No fever either.
    I thought it was a reation to the egg yolk. When I talked to our doctor about it, he agreed it was the egg.
    He told me LO would probably outgrow it, but advised me to avoid feeding him any egg products for a while.
    I re-introduced whole eggs after one year and have had no problems.

Nathansmum, this pretty much exactly describes what happened with my DD. I think I will avoid eggs till she's over a year. Thanks!