Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confussed!!!! Drinking Time??

Default Confussed!!!! Drinking Time??

I all mommies..

I am so glad that I found this site!!!

My son is now 10 weeks and I am exclusively breastfeeding. I need your help!! We saw the peadetition at 6 weeks and he said that Hanno sould me drinking for atleast 15min every 3-4 hours and if he cant last for that long I should give him 20ml water/tea. But I cant get hom to drink 15min, he only drinks for 8min and then pulls of the breast. Hes happy afterwards and not fussy. But wants to drink every 2.5 to 3 hours. Is it wrong that he only drinks for 8min?

I am a Nursery School teacher and he goes to the baby class. So when he needs to feed, they call me. When were there I cant feed on demand as I have to give class and can only go every 3 hours.

I dont want to put him on formula and I cant express as I only get about 50ml at a time.

Please help????
    [/FONT]

Default Re: Confussed!!!! Drinking Time??

water or tea! that is...bizarre. really horrid advice. IF your baby needs more than you can provide, the supplemental feedings should be donated breast milk or infant formula. NEVER anything else at this age!

It is also wrong that a baby must nurse for 15 minutes every 3-4 hours. The pattern you describe
    But wants to drink every 2.5 to 3 hours. Is it wrong that he only drinks for 8min?
    is totally normal. Nursing more often than that would be normal too, and as long as baby is getting enough, (gaining well) short sessions can be fine.
    I am confused. Is baby not gaining well? Can you provide weight history?
    how many times in a 24 hour day does baby nurse?
    When baby pulls off the breast, do you offer the other breast? or the same one again? both? neither?Just because baby pulls off does not always mean baby is 'done.'
    If you can nurse your baby every three hours when at work, why do you need to pump? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; May 25th, 2013 at 08:51 AM.

with LLLMeg. In the US, it is advised that babies be fed on demand, nursed as often as they want and for as long as they want. It is advised that mother's start introducing substances other than breastmilk (or formula, if breastmilk is not available) only at 6 months. Before 6 months, it's breastmilk or formula ONLY! It does not sound like there's any reason for you to use formula, provided you keep on nursing on demand and ignoring the paediatrician's awful advice!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi,

He's gaining very well he's birth weight was 3.9kg and was at 2 months 6kg. He is also gaining in lenght 56cm to 62cm and around his head. I havent counted how many times in a day drinks but I will. What should it be? When he pulls of the breast, I burp him and will over the breast again he also most always refusses to even open his mouth. I will also over the other breast but he does the same.

If he want to drink every 2.5 hours I wount be able to attend to it, how do I get him to go 3hr before a feed when were at school?

I'll have to take your word for it that the weight gain and growth is normal, as I have no idea what the metric measurements mean! sorry.

As long as your baby is gaining well, as long as you nurse on cue (when you are together) that is fine. I would say a minimum of 8 nursing sessions per 24 hour day is typical, but some babies nurse much more often than that, and a few nurse less, and are fine.

So for the work...I am confused here. If your baby is usually hungry every 2.5 hours, are you permitted to break when baby needs? Or are you only allowed a break every 3 hours?

If you are only allowed a break every three hours, I have a couple suggestions...I prefer the first, but if it does not work the second should be fine.

1) DURING WORK, Take a break and go nurse baby every three hours. It is ok to schedule in this situation as you have no choice. Don't wait to be called by the baby class, go as often as you are allowed, and if that is about every three hours that should be fine. Your baby will probably get used to this schedule over time. Until then, teach the baby class teachers other ways to comfort your baby until you get there.

2) Do the same as above, but provide the baby class small amounts of expressed milk in a bottle to tide baby over until you can get there. An ounce or so at most, which I think is about 30 mils? You don't want baby getting a 'full feeding' (anywhere from 2-4 ounces) as you want baby to nurse when you get there.
    If you cannot pump while at work, it is important to make sure baby is still nursing regularly (every three hours or so should be fine) and that, plus nursing at home, will keep your milk production good.

You are is a great situation that you can nurse your baby while at work, rather than having to pump. So I am sure you will find a way to make it work for you and baby.

Have any bottles given like this http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Fussy baby ideas http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ybabyideas.pdf

3.9 kg = 8.6 lbs (birthweight)
    6 kg = 13.2 lbs (2 months)

His weight gain is fine, so why does the doctor want you to "fix" what isn't broken?

I am with LLLMeg that your baby's nursing frequency is normal and fine, and that the best way to work around his 2.5 hour nursing sessions is to either allow a small amount of expressed milk to be given via bottle, or to find a way to adjust your schedule.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"