Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: breastfeeding during the day and formula at night?

Default breastfeeding during the day and formula at night?

Im wanting to start formula feeding at night and breast feeding during the day. For anyone who has done this what time at night would be the best to start the formula feeding?

Default Re: breastfeeding during the day and formula at night?

Welcome to the forum! What is your goal with the nighttime formula feeding? Do you want to introduce it in order to get more sleep, and if so how much sleep do you want to get? Or are you working night shifts, during which you'll be unable to pump? And how old is baby? The answers to those questions will help us figure out what advice to give.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hello! yes I want to introduce it to get a little more sleep. I have tried a combination of different things pumping and breastfeeding, just straight breast feeding and noticed that my daughter was not getting out enough milk and would usually fall asleep or suckle very slow causing a decrease in the frequency of stool diapers. She is almost 2 weeks old. And i am not going to be working but I have sleep anxiety and have a very very difficult time sleeping as it is so I guess in order to function I wanted to try this approach.

Okay, how much sleep do you need? Are you looking for a full 8 hours, or would one 5-6 hour stretch be sufficient to allow you to function? I hate to say this, but a full 8 hours is probably not reasonable with a new baby. Babies, even ones who are exclusively formula-fed, are going to wake at night and need to eat for at least the first several months of life. So I suggest thinking through what you want to do when your baby inevitably wakes to eat. Are you going to send dad in with a bottle? Are you going to make the bottle yourself? If you're thinking of giving the bottle, consider the steps involved: you need to get up, go to the kitchen, mix the formula, warm the formula, come back to feed the baby... All while listening to the baby cry. Sometimes it can be easier to simply nurse the baby!

The second thing I think you need to consider is how young your baby is. It is recommended that bottle introduction not take place until 4-6 weeks, or even longer if breastfeeding isn't going well. Babies suck differently on bottles and pacifiers than they do on the breast, and offering trifocals nipples can screw up a baby's ability to latch and also his/her willingness to nurse. So you may want to push this plan off into the future, by just a few weeks.

If you're going to do formula, I would start by choosing a stretch of night during which you will get good sleep and someone else will care for the baby. Nurse the baby right before you get into bed. Then, when baby wakes, have your caregiver feed the baby a bottle. Hopefully this will buy you a single longer sleep stretch.

Now, the bottle doesn't have to have formula in it! You can give your baby bottled breastmilk and have about the same result- it's a myth that formula makes babies sleep longer.

Let's talk about nursing- how did you end up pumping in addition to nursing? It's usually not necessary and it can really wear you out, so I personally would love to help you find a way to simplify your routine. That can decrease your stress and make sleep a bit easier, even when it's interrupted sleep.

Also, what are your sleep arrangements like right now? Is baby in her own room or your room? In a crib? In a co-sleeper? In your bed? Have you mastered side-lying nursing yet?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My baby sleeps in my room next to my bed in a pack n play bassinet. I have tried to breast feed her without pumping or formula and it wore me out way too much and I realized breast feeding only is just not for me so i tried to find another way. I was getting an hour of sleep because she constantly wanted to nurse an seem like she wasnt getting enough which was confirmed in her decrease in poopy diapers. I have given her bottle since we've been home from the hospital with my pumped milk and she has not got confused yet. Im not looming for 8 hours of sleep but maybe 4 hours straight would be bad. I did try the formula last night and she did sleep longer and seem to have no problem with it. I have nursed an bottle fed her breast milk throughout the whole day today. I do pump throughout the night after I feed her the formula for about 10 -15 mins.

I would have loved to just breast feed her at night but for some reason she is never satisfied when shes doe and i lay her down few minutes later shes up again crying.

I noticed also when i pump my milk comes out very slowly perhaps this is why?

Hi didixoxo, welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your brand new baby. Is this your first or so you have older kids as well?

Besides the sleep issues, are you having any other breastfeeding issues? Latch pain? have you found comfortable nursing positions? Is baby back to birth weight? I am interested in weight gain because poop output up or down, as long as there is enough overall, does not really indicate anything one way or another... A baby could poop 8 times in one day and 4 the next, given the same amount of food....it's normal for it to go up and down. And It will be effected by what baby is eating as well, of course.

Maybe exclusive breastfeeding is not for you. Many moms combine breastfeeding and formula feeding. It's important to understand the potential issues, however. I talk to many moms who go down this route and change their minds later after the intensity of the early weeks is past, and they find it is very hard if not impossible to backtrack. They always tell me they wish they had known the possible issues. So that is what mommal and I are trying to show you, so you can make an informed decision.

Of course ANY breastmilk/breastfeeding is way better than none, healthwise. So breastfeeding, even if it is part time and/or for a shorter duration, is so very important for the health of your baby. So I suggest, however you need to make breastfeeding at all work, do it.

If, knowing the drawbacks, you decide to continue to formula feed at night, there are ways to do this that may possibly slightly lessen the impact on your breastfeeding relationship with baby. You could make sure bottles are given in a way that is most like breastfeeding, and you could pump when baby gets supplements.
    Bottle feeding the breastfed baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Your baby is two weeks old. Two weeks ago, she was inside you, being fed and comforted literally constantly. It takes time for baby to adjust to the outside world. And it takes time to adjust to motherhood. Sometimes, a very long time (I have been a mom almost 10 years and I am still trying to figure it out.)

Formula does not make a baby sleep longer if it is given in age appropriate amounts. This was studied and that was the conclusion. You may have a different personal experience, of course. but that was not the conclusion of the research. A larger than normal feed amount of formula might make a baby sleep deeper or longer. But babies are designed to sleep very lightly with frequent wakings. Deeper than normal sleep is not healthy for a newborn baby. A normal amount for a single feed for a two week old is about 2 to 3 ounces.

Another study showed that (again, in general,) breastfeeding, co-sleeping mothers got more sleep overall than other mothers. But I bet no mother gets much sleep in the very early, intense weeks!

I have given her bottle since we've been home from the hospital with my pumped milk and she has not got confused yet.
    A baby is not typically 'confused' by a few weeks of occasional bottles. Generally, this is a misleading term. What usually happens is that, over time, baby stops seeing momma and her breasts as the only place for all love, comfort and satiety. This slowly erodes the breastfeeding relationship over time.

Have you tried or considered sleeping actually with your baby, (with the appropriate safety precautions) taking naps during the day, getting help at night with everything else besides feedings…?

Here is the general deal-if a mom breastfeeds 'part time,' for any reason, and she does not pump at about the same time baby gets supplements, that will lead to a decrease in milk production, and possibly to one or more of the following: baby learning to 'prefer' bottles (for various reasons) shallow or painful latch, and breast refusal, all of which typically lead to a shorter breastfeeding duration (baby does not nurse as many weeks or months) as mom may have liked.

Every mother and baby is different, so how long part time bottles and formula can go on before breastfeeding ends will vary. And of course, it depends on how much formula. One feeding of formula per night will have less impact than two, etc. But even one does have an impact.

The earlier such interventions occur, the more problematic they tend to be as well. If baby starts getting part time formula feedings instead of nursing, before you have established a ‘full’ milk production, (this usually happens around 6 weeks) that is almost certainly going to cause your milk production to be very seriously and more likely permanently harmed.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; May 27th, 2013 at 11:04 PM.

I also want to chime in with support for cosleeping. I sleep with my twins, and I've been getting a decent amount of sleep since the beginning. They are 10 weeks old, and I get just about a full 8 hours a night now, because they will eat while I'm sleeping. On the weekends, one usually sleeps in with me while my husband takes the other one, which helps me get more than 8 hours! The side-lying position is essential. I googled it and taught it to myself and my babies when they were a couple of weeks old. It might help you get through these tougher weeks and if your baby can figure out how to latch on easily, you'll eventually barely even have to wake up at all.

I was planning on pumping at night in order for my milk production not to decrease. My husband and I agreed eofre the baby arrived that we weren't going to co sleep although I do realize it works for others I dont think its something Im going to do. Last night I gave her a couple bottles of formula and have been breast feeding her the whole day and it seems to be going well. I will definitely look up the side laying position for breast feeding might make it easier. If I am pumping at night for the couple bottles of formula I do give her will this work to maintain my milk production?