Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD with 7.5 week old now has green mucus poop

Default OALD with 7.5 week old now has green mucus poop

I have self diagnosed myself with having overactive-letdown since my little one was 1 week old (she is now 7.5 weeks, but was born 3 weeks early). I came to that conclusion because I would have 3 letdowns that I would feel while she was eating, coughing/gagging/gulping at the beginning of each feeding, and if I took her off during the letdown I would spray her in the face. I have always just fed her on one side each time she was hungry (which was usually every 2 hours) and reclined or side lying. I guess I was block-feeding her in 2 hour increments at that time because if she got hungry before the 2 hours was up, I would still feed her on the same side. In the last week and a half, I have noticed that my breasts are softer when it is time for her to eat than they used to be, except first thing in the morning. She is eating every 2 to 3 hours with mixed in 1 hour increments here and there during the day, and 1 3 hour and 1 4 hour stretch during the night.

I did notice in the last month she would have occasional neon yellow green poop that was not seedy like it should be, but it would always change back to the normal yellow seedy color. Since Monday afternoon, she has been having the neon yellow green mucus stools with the occasional brown mixed in, seems to be grunting more to poop, and having gas pains. After doing some reading on these forums, I thought it might be a food allergy, and that I would cut out milk (since that seems to be the first thing people cut out), but then realized it could be from my OALD. Since I hadn't really had anything different to eat or more milk products that I noticed I figured I would try to fix the OALD first. So starting Wednesday morning I went to block-feeding her in 4 hour increments in which she would eat 2-3 times on a side. She had 1 normal stool on each of the last 2 days. Am I doing the right thing to block-feed? Should I give it more time to see if her stools get better or just start eliminating things from my diet? Any other suggestions?

Default Re: OALD with 7.5 week old now has green mucus poop

Welcome to the forum!

I think that when you KNOW you have oversupply/forceful letdowns, and the baby's symptoms are very consistent with OS/FFLD, then you work that angle before doing any dietary eliminations, because issues stemming from OS/FFLD are much more common than allergies or intolerances.

Aside from the green and mucousy poops, what OS/FFLD symptoms are you seeing at this point?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

1. gulp, choke, sputter, or cough during feedings at breast (every feeding unless I am lying down. or reclined and have her on top of me)
    2. Baby may seem to bite or clamp down on the nipple while feeding (I was getting vasospasms in both nipples and when she unlatched from my nipple it had a crease or white line in it)
    3. Milk sprays when baby comes off, especially at the beginning of a feeding
    4. Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot (I have to keep her upright for at least 30 min after she eats or she spits up. She has had 2 or 3 projectile throwing up since being born, but none recently. I have to burp her frequently while nursing to help prevent this. Some crying as she pushes to poop.)

Okay, in that case it sounds like you still have some degree of oversupply going on, which earns that block feeding is probably a good idea. The reason I asked is that sometimes moms go a little too far with block feeding, and end up with supply that is too low. I'd continue on with the block feeding, and just keep a careful eye on diaper output, since low supply may show up as reduced diaper output.

Also, don't be afraid to block feed at certain times of the day but not at others. Supply fluctuates throughout the day, with most moms producing the most milk in the wee hours of the night and the early morning, and the least in the late afternoon-evening. I needed to block feed in the mornings, but by nightfall I needed to use both sides in order to satisfy my LO, especially as the block feeding started to take effect and my supply wasn't quite so crazy any more.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thank you for your reply. We have been doing 4 hour blocks for a week now and she has been back to yellow seedy poops for 2 whole days. I still have a couple of questions though. In the mornings she eats just about every hour for 8-10 minutes. Is this to be expected because of the block feeding? I have noticed that by the afternoon I am soft after she feeds the first time during a block, do I need to change to the other side then or continue with the same side if she needs to eat again during that block? How long should I continue with feeding her this way or is it trial and error? Thanks again!

Eating every hour in the morning- or at any other time of day- is normal, regardless of whether or not you're block feeding. I know there are plenty of people who claim that babies "should" feed every 3 hours or whatever, but there are also people who claim that they've seen unicorns. I consider them equally credible! Sure, some babies will naturally space their feedings to 2, 3, even 4 hours apart- but there are way more babies who will feed much more often when left to their own devices! If you want, you can always go back to offering 2 breasts at some or all feedings, and see if your baby's feeding frequency changes.

Block feeding is an art, not a science. The important thing is to watch the baby. If she seems satisfied after feeding off just 1 side, she probably is. But if she seems to want more, there's no harm in offering the other side! Worst thing that could happen is that you get green poops and gas again, and then you work on block feeding some more. It's worth noting that dealing with oversupply can be a "2 steps forward, one step back" process. Sometimes you'll think you have it beat, and it will flare up again. Not a big deal- you just go back to block feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I know there are plenty of people who claim that babies "should" feed every 3 hours or whatever, but there are also people who claim that they've seen unicorns. I consider them equally credible!
    love it.

All good advice from mommal. I dealt with OALD with my current baby (or FFLD). Sounds like you are on the right path, and it really doesn't take long for that to be a new normal for you. My LO is at 6 months and we still only feed from one side each feeding. He occassionally will take both, but thats not the norm. I have heard some moms say that even at 8 months they are still only feeding one side. As mommal said, watch your baby and keep track of output.
    Another way that was helpful for me was to unlatch baby during my let-downs and allow the fast flow to go into a burp cloth or towel, then relatch.
    I also agree that addressing an OALD/OS first would be a good move, food elimination is hard on mom, and I wouldn't go that route unless you really have to.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03