Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding problems

Default Feeding problems

So I posted a few weeks go saying my oversupply was gone. And it really was gone for like 2 weeks! Or so it seemed. Now it seems like there is way too much milk again. I am beyond frustrated with this.

My baby is 5 months old, so I really feel like it's impossible that it went away and came back. I wonder what happened? At this point I don't pump at all because I don't want to make the oversupply worse. I don't want to quit (and in reality I can't at this point because we've tried a bottle many times), but she chokes and gags and gets so angry. She was comfort nursing great and seemed to enjoy it, but now the milk is back. She will only feed side lying, also very frustrating while trying to look after a toddler.

Since she is at 5 months, does this mean that she set my production to high again? I find it unlikely that my body would just automatically make that much milk again after stopping. Now she doesn't want the milk. I'm so confused. ERRRRRR. I'm sure it's possible that some other thing is making her fussy at the breast and so sensitive to it...like if she's tired and gets even a drop of milk out of an empty breast she gets mad. Maybe this is just her being fussy and a baby?
    Last edited by @llli*karrieperry; May 8th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Feeding problems

Hi mama, do you feel like your supply has increased - breasts very full, leaking? I have oversupply, and I think part of that is that my breasts are hyper-responsive to demand. Meaning, if my LO nurses a bit longer or a bit more than usual, my breasts will respond as if she'd spent days attached to the breast! So in your case, your supply dropped a bit, baby started doing more comfort nursing, supply picked back up, now she's less interested in nursing again, supply will go back down etc. My baby is not interested in comfort nursing either when I'm very full. Interestingly, I had my period a couple weeks ago, supply dropped, and baby was definitely spending longer at the breast! Anyway, I think it's good that you are avoiding pumping, but other than that I think perhaps the best thing is just to let LO regulate it by letting her nurse as much or as little as she wants. You could also try block feeding to decrease supply. My LO is a one-sided nurser most of the time, but you can take that farther by doing several sessions on one side before switching to another. In terms of the choking/gagging, does that happen only at the beginning of the feed? Because you can try to let down into a towel first, then latch baby on, and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Hi mama, do you feel like your supply has increased - breasts very full, leaking? I have oversupply, and I think part of that is that my breasts are hyper-responsive to demand. Meaning, if my LO nurses a bit longer or a bit more than usual, my breasts will respond as if she'd spent days attached to the breast! So in your case, your supply dropped a bit, baby started doing more comfort nursing, supply picked back up, now she's less interested in nursing again, supply will go back down etc. My baby is not interested in comfort nursing either when I'm very full. Interestingly, I had my period a couple weeks ago, supply dropped, and baby was definitely spending longer at the breast! Anyway, I think it's good that you are avoiding pumping, but other than that I think perhaps the best thing is just to let LO regulate it by letting her nurse as much or as little as she wants. You could also try block feeding to decrease supply. My LO is a one-sided nurser most of the time, but you can take that farther by doing several sessions on one side before switching to another. In terms of the choking/gagging, does that happen only at the beginning of the feed? Because you can try to let down into a towel first, then latch baby on, and see if that helps.
    Thanks for responding! It's really only one breast that seems to be the trouble. Baby prefers one side only, it's the larger side, always has been. The other side has a crazy letdown, even though it's smaller and definitely does not produce as much. This breast leaks a lot at each letdown of the other breast. I can shoot milk about 5 feet, would that be OALD? This is on the under-producing side, which is so weird. The other side has a very mild spray and it seems she likes that. The letdown on the un-preffered side is painful. It really hurts. It lets down even though I don't nurse that side more than a few times a day. I keep having to change my shirt because it just keeps coming even though she's not even drinking from that breast!

So for whatever reason supply went down a lot for a few weeks. I did have an infection (not related) that required antibiotics, not sure if that was why. She loved nursing for those few weeks! Then it was like, boom, supply back, especially in that other breast. The large breast has enough to feed her on just that side all the time, and this is what I usually do. I just don't know what to do about the other side. Should I stop offering it? I was about to let it dry up when supply dropped and she wanted both breasts every feeding.

I just feel upset that she can't comfort nurse all the time, I feel really inadequate that I can't provide that (she won't take anything but the breast, no paci, no bottle). She does nurse to sleep each night and nurses back to sleep every 45 min for several hours, then fine all night long. So I guess I should be thankful for that!

Thank you for the suggestions.

Hmm, that does sound like OALD in the smaller breast, it is a bit odd that it's on the under-producing side but anything can happen! I think you're doing the right thing by favoring the other side, not sure I would let the OALD side dry up completely because it sounds like you needed it when you had the supply dip. In terms of leaking through your shirt, are you using nursing pads? There have been times where I actually used TWO nursing pads for the breast that I wasn't nursing on because if I was only using one I would leak through it. Meaning, if baby was nursing from the left side, I'd have two pads on the right side. I can definitely relate to the painful letdown too.

Oh my gosh, do NOT feel inadequate for (supposedly) not comfort nursing her! You are exclusively breastfeeding your baby which is wonderful! And it sounds like she IS comfort nursing if she's nursing back to sleep several times per night. There are so many moms on here who worry about whether baby is getting enough - oversupply can be a pain (both literally and figuratively!) but in the end I think it would be harder if you were worried about not having enough milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post

Oh my gosh, do NOT feel inadequate for (supposedly) not comfort nursing her! You are exclusively breastfeeding your baby which is wonderful! And it sounds like she IS comfort nursing if she's nursing back to sleep several times per night. There are so many moms on here who worry about whether baby is getting enough - oversupply can be a pain (both literally and figuratively!) but in the end I think it would be harder if you were worried about not having enough milk.
    Thank you, it's just hard when you have a picture in your head of what you think/thought was supposed to happen. None of my friends really ever talk about nursing, let alone difficulties, and this is my first time (did not nurse older DD). I was thinking about attending a community nursing group but it's a little hard with a toddler in tow.

I do have a washable nursing pad but it's a pain, maybe just some soft cloth squares would do the trick, or even a cut up cloth diaper if it was a little circle. I guess I should be thankful that she's getting plenty, thanks for reminding me of that. Also helpful to remember that the primary function of the breast is food, comfort comes after the food has been removed (usually). And thanks again for responding, always good to talk to people with similar issues!!

Last weight check she had gained almost 8oz a week for 7 weeks, before that she only gained 4oz per week because she hated the OS. We switched to side-lying only right after that and that was when she gained twice as much weight!

I think the cloth diaper would work well - I've always used them for dealing with spitup!