Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I've relactated but now what?

Default I've relactated but now what?

So I relactated when my baby was 2 mo. old. I had exclusively BF him until 4.5 weeks and began relactation at 7weeks. My son is now 5 months old. I am not 100 % sure if I have a full supply or not but I know I am pretty close. The delema;

I am now a stay at home mom. ( I also have a 2 yr old and watch a 1 yr old as well)
    I want to get off of bottle and supplementing with formula. I just don't know how I can be sure he is getting enough. I do not have a LC near me and our doctor office can weigh him but there is no guarantee he is going to want to nurse there. He seems to nurse best at home and I have found that sometimes he will not even nurse at my MIL house. maybe I am nervous or something...

He almost always takes the breast now and sometimes seems satisfied but not always. Typically he is taking 8-12 oz in a 24hr period of formula in addition to nursing. I am not sure he needs this much but I try to offer a bottle after nursing and he usually will take it no problem so this leads me to believe he is not getting enough from me.

I am just not sure how to tell and I am so ready to get rid of the bottles. I am on Domperidone and have been for atleast 2 months now. I take 3 pills 3x a day. I need to up my water intake but I am not sure what else I can do to get that extra boost I need in my supply. I have not been pumping after BF him since I am caring for 3 children and seems like a daunting task...

I am just looking for some advice. I don't want to starve him and I am afraid that if I just don't offer him formula anymore that he might not be getting enough in a 24hr period. Also sometimes he acts hungry but wont take the breast so I wait a while longer before offering again and he will take it but he seems quite hungry by this point. When he refuses the breast should I offer the bottle then or wait like I have been and offer when he seems more hungry?

Default Re: I've relactated but now what?

Hi mama! I'm glad to hear you've got a supply of milk going, you've been working really hard to get where you are and you should be proud of that accomplishment!

Here's a good article that has a step-by-step guide for weaning off formula supplements. You definitely don't want baby to starve, but if your instinct is telling you it's time to start cutting back, go ahead and try.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norwegianelk View Post
    He almost always takes the breast now and sometimes seems satisfied but not always. Typically he is taking 8-12 oz in a 24hr period of formula in addition to nursing. I am not sure he needs this much but I try to offer a bottle after nursing and he usually will take it no problem so this leads me to believe he is not getting enough from me.
    Just because he will drink out of a bottle does not necessarily mean that he is not getting enough from you. Many babies will drink from a bottle even if they're not particularly hungry. That said, 8-12 ounces is somwhere between a quarter to a half of his requirements for the day (which are about 24-30 ounces), so it's a good idea to back off slowly from the bottle.

That's the link to use. Don't be suprised if nursing frequency starts going up as baby gets less and less formula. And also don't be fooled by your baby's willingness to take a bottle after nursing- babies love to suck and will often take a bottle even after a perfectly good feeding. You might want to try concluding all feedings with nursing rather than with the bottle. This is called the "finish at the breast" technique and it can help a baby associate feelings of satiation and comfort with the breast rather than the bottle. That way baby won't conclude feedings by fussing for the bottle- he'll expect the breast instead. And maybe one day he'll forget that the bottle is even in the equation!

You can do it, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well When I was working he was only taking in 2-4 oz in an 10 hr day at daycare he would then come home and eat ALOT I used what pumped at work in the evenings since he was getting formula at daycare. This meant he would usually get one 4 oz bottle of formula at home in the evenings the rest were what I pumped that day and me nursing. but he was not nursing as well while I was working and I would have to pump sometimes too. So when I was working he was really getting less formula than he is now and I am home with him. BUT he was not eating durning the day at daycare and he is eating a lot during the day now. I don't think he is "emptying" me because when he is done nursing on both side I can hand express almost atleast a half oz (total) afterwards if not more if I were to keep hand expressing. I just don't get it... Its like he wants to finish with the bottle. I think part of it is that the flow slows but I massage while he is nursing and he does not like when I do that and stops nursing. I just don't know how to tell if he is taking the bottle afterwards just because or because he really needs it. I really want to get past this hump. I guess I need to pump after his nursing sessions from now on and maybe add in a power pump too. Also sometimes he only nurses from one side should I pump (both sides) when he does this or should I just wait and let him nurse the other side later? He has also been nursing a lot more frequently so it makes me afraid that he is not satisfied. I don't know, this is all a little confusing now that I am home. I thought it would be so much easier getting him off the bottle but I was WAY wrong.

Thank you for that link as well. I will be checking it out.