Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I surprised myself ... starting our toddler nursing journey

Default I surprised myself ... starting our toddler nursing journey

My little man turned 1 last week so I guess we have officially crossed into the realm of toddler nursing In the beginning, it was my goal to breastfeed to 6 months ... then we reached that milestone strong, so the goal moved to 1 year. Well, he still nurses day and night, so now I'm taking a number off of the goal, and instead just hope to keep breastfeeding until one or both of us is ready to stop. It surprises me to find myself here, because in the past I never gave much thought to extended nursing. But I realized over the last few weeks that I am not ready for him to wean, because he is such a busy baby, zooming around nonstop, that nursing is the only time I get quality snuggles!

I feel I owe many thanks to you ladies on this forum, for being such an excellent technical (and emotional) support network that helped us get where we are now. You helped me problem solve many barriers for which I had limited resources in real life. I hope in the future I can be half as helpful to another breastfeeding mom as you have been to me!

And right on cue -- as if he KNEW he was turning 1 year old -- my LO is doing some weird things while nursing! He likes to abruptly unlatch, sit up, look at and touch my breasts; he "talks" and giggles while nursing; he tries to jump around and flip from cradle hold to tummy position while nursing ... I guess he is giving me a glimpse of our future? LOL ... let the acrobatics begin!

Default Re: I surprised myself ... starting our toddler nursing jour

Congrats on getting to a year, mercystreet! That's wonderful!

Yeah, toddlers are a lot of fun. A little maddening at times but so cute!

Congratulations. Welcome to the afterparty. It's an entirely different game. And well worth a year in the trenches IMO.

Way too lazy for formula

Awesome! My goal is 1 year too! I want to todler nurse, but I am scared of the critics. I guess I like your approach see where time takes you. Inspiring!

Awesome! The afterparty is definitely the best part of the party!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Toddler nursing is soooo worth the bumpy beginning! And the antics are amazing. No one else but DD claps when I take off my shirt. I love it.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.