Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another night weaning question...

Default Another night weaning question...

Hello,

My LO is 17 months and nurses to fall asleep (nap time and night time). During the day usually is really OK he will only nurse 4 times which is fine with me. The thing is that at night he started a month ago to wake up more frequently...
    Before he was waking up only one time (for months), I was really happy because we would wake up around 2am then, 3am, then, 4-5am, so I thought we were eventually going to STTN, he did acutally STTN three times.
    But NOW he is waking up at 12am or 1am or 2am and then also around 5am, which is a problem since sometimes the second time he is not that sleepy anymore and just ends up waking up....
    He is not sick or teething, eats well, etc... so I can't figure out what is bothering him./.
    I don't really want' to night wean completely I just want to nurse around 4-5 am like we did before, so my question is how do I do that? and also is it possible to night wean and still nurse to sleep? I know some people talk about sleep associations but I would like to eventually night wean and still nurse him to sleep, is this possible?

Default Re: Another night weaning question...

Yes, you can night wean and still nurse to sleep. And technically 'sleeping through the night' means getting one 5-6 hour block of sleep time, so only waking to nurse at 4-5am would count as sttn/night-weaning.

First off, let me ask you if you're *sure* he isn't getting his one or two year molars. Because those things can be sneaky and sometimes your only clue they are coming in is increased night waking. They start to hurt even before they break through the skin and sometimes they break through, the skin grows back, they break through again- ugh, it can take months. And our poor babies don't know how else to deal with the pain/discomfort other than nursing.

ANYWAY, that said, here is a really great night weaning method that I and a lot of other moms here have used with success. I didn't follow the time-line strictly, it took us about a month or so to night wean. He actually doesn't recommend night weaning and cutting off nursing to sleep at the same time, so it should be fine to continue nursing to sleep.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    ANYWAY, that said, here is a really great night weaning method that I and a lot of other moms here have used with success. .
    Where is the method? You forgot to include it.....
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*iritita View Post
    Where is the method? You forgot to include it.....
    Ha! I'm kind of an idiot sometimes.

Here it is.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for the reply still.here. My baby actually already got his 4 molars, so I know that is not the problem and yes it was hell when he got them (bleeding, etc). I had already seen the Jay Gordon method, and i think I want to try it, my only question is that we don't co-sleep, he sleeps in his crib in a separate room and he actually likes sleeping there (I already tried co-sleeping to see if that would improve but he doesn't like it anymore...we coslept until he was about 9 months old), so I guess my question is do you go to his room and hold him? also, will he be more tired in the morning? he is now transitioning from 2 naps to 1 so, do you let him sleep all that he wants during the day? thanks!