Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Life is pain, Highness." 3 week old killing my nipples.

Default Re: "Life is pain, Highness." 3 week old killing my nipples.

I do the breast sandwich. I've moved on to feeling sorry for myself.

Thank you all for your help. You’ve all been so kind to me, and I’ll never see you again, because I’m killing myself as soon as we reach the bridal suite.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*goodmorningstarshine View Post
    I’m killing myself as soon as we reach the bridal suite.
    won't that be nice
    she kissed me!

What are you doing to treat the crack on your injured nipple?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

When I left the hospital I was using Soothies, but now that my milk has really come in they get yucky way before 72 hours. I've been applying breast milk and/or lanolin and trying to leave it exposed to air. I'm planning to go buy some shield thingies to wear in my bra so I can wear clothes again without the fabric rubbing on them.

Just a word of warning - if it is thrush, lanolin can make it worse by trapping moisture and allowing the yeast to grow, and if it's in your breast milk, you're just reapplying infected milk. Can you get a script for Dr. Newman's all-purpose nipple cream? I've also used over the counter Canesten...

I second the recommendation for the APNO per Newman. I had a similar problem (youch--makes me cringe thinking about the pain!). The ointment really helped to heal, and you don't need to wipe it off before feeding, unless there is an obvious glob. One 30 gram tube lasted me several months of application (sparingly). The cracks will take time to heal. I had a really bad one on the right nipple and it was 2 months before the rift in the skin was gone. Also, time will be your friend. My LO's chin was also recessed, and it took a few months for his mouth to grow big enough to fit all the breast in. Good positioning helped--you might check out the My Brest Friend Pillow, which I completely fell in love with at my lactation consultant's office and promptly purchased from amazon. For a few months, I added a flat pillow under the MBFP so baby was raised high enough on the breast--you might confer with your LC that you are getting a good position. I thought I was under a LLL leader visited me and showed me that the position I was using was actually pulling on the nipple. Proper position made all the difference in terms of healing and comfort!
    Andie

born 6/13/2012

~First-time Mama~
    and now finished with