Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 14 month old and constipation (I think??)

Default 14 month old and constipation (I think??)

My baby was EBF until a year old. She did not take to solids well... and I didn't worry about it b/c I knew she had everything she needed from BM. Finally around a year old she started picking up on solids and I started adding in some whole cow's milk too.... AND she was still getting BM daily. Gradually over the next two months (which is until now) she was getting about half BM daily and half cow's milk... and also was picking up on her solids. Of course I noticed her stools changing from very soft to thicker stools, but over the past two to three weeks they have been getting harder and harder. I stopped pumping a couple of weeks ago and now my freezer stash of BM is gone... so all she is getting as of right now is cow's milk. I have tried changing up her solids diet to have more peas, pears, etc... and I have been giving prunes pretty often... sometimes once a day until she has a good soft stool. When she tries to have a bowel movement she is getting mad and that is when they will be firmer/harder stools. I know she needs to get used to the change in poop (from a BF baby to now having real milk and solids), but I do not want her truly constipated. I have also stopped giving her apples, bananas, and anything that can be constipating.

Also... I can hardly get her to drink water or juice. She just pushes it away. Since she isn't getting any water out of BM anymore.... I have even started adding it to her cow's milk just so I can be sure she gets some into her system. In the mean time... I'm still working on getting her to drink some on her own out of a sippy cup, etc....

A week ago it finally got to where I thought she was constipated. She was straining and crying and having very hard/dry pellets.... and was still angry and upset. I loaded her up on prunes and pears... and finally gave her a suppository. She finally had a few softer stools and then a blowout later that day!!

Do you have any idea what I can do? It seems she easily gets headed towards constipated. Even right now she is trying to go and is getting angry.....

Default Re: 14 month old and constipation (I think??)

Hi canne! It sounds like you are doing the right thing in terms of her diet - going for the P fruits (you can also consider peaches and apricots to add to your mix), avoiding the apples and bananas. Is your LO eating cheese? That might be something to back down as well. We have an ongoing battle with constipation in our household as well. So basically all the kids get prunes every day. It took some trial and error to figure out what the right "dose" of prunes is. For my oldest, who's 6, it's 5 prunes a day. For my 3-year-old, it's 3 prunes. And we are trying to figure it out for the 14 month old! (Who incidentally still is getting breast milk, but has gotten constipated as well.) Actually, we took the 14 month old in to the pediatrician this week because she had a bad diaper rash, and the pediatrician suggested doing miralax too since part of the problem is the hard stools. My plan is to use the miralax at least until the stool is consistently soft.

See your pediatrician. Meanwhile, keep a "poop diary"- it can be hard to remember if your LO last pooped 2 days ago or 3 days ago or 5 days ago or 7 days ago...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you tried cutting dairy out of her diet? Maybe you can supplement with soy milk or almond milk. Dairy can be the cause of a lot of digestive problems in many people.
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

Thanks for the replies. I know I used to give my son (who is now four) prunes on a regular basis when he went to cow's milk because I was afraid he would get constipated. I did that until his digestive tract seemed fine without it and he was fine on cow's milk and food from that point forward.

We were out of town earlier this week and I got off track with the prunes with my daughter. I've been trying to do at least a small amount daily or some every other day. After I posted that question earlier today... she had two good soft poops!

When I have talked to my doctors office before... they mentioned doing the water in the milk (since she will not drink it straight) and also try with the apple juice, etc. They did say I could do some prune juice in the milk as well. They did mention miralax.... but that was only if she was truly constipated and not going at all??? (I already have some Miralax at home b/c I have IBS and use it rarely...).

I did read on Dr Sears website that flax oil is a good daily supplement to give baby? Have you guys ever heard of that or tried anything like that?

And as far as a poop diary.... she was a daily pooper from day one... and then as she got older and was still only EBF... it was sometimes daily, then skip a day.... then daily again, etc. I noticed it started to change a lot. Now, I know she might miss a day here and there, but when it goes to day two with no poop, I start to panic and give prunes, etc. Last week when I did a suppository and she acted upset with trying to poop, it was on day three... and she DID wind up going that same day finally.

What are your opinions on this???

I don't think you want to wait until she's not going at all - then you're behind, you know? I think that's what our problem is, we've already gotten behind. So that's why I'm doing the miralax. I have heard about flax seed oil but haven't personally tried it. As for mixing milk with other stuff - I guess if your LO will drink milk with prune juice, that's fine, but it sounds kind of gross! So how much milk is she drinking per day now anyway? Are you saying that she is only drinking milk, nothing else? Are you continuing to offer water? Is she eating any other dairy? I don't think the frequency of the poop matters as much as the consistency. If she goes every 3 days but it's soft, no straining - that's fine. But if it's straining, crying, hard poops each time - whether every day or every 3 - that's when you have to work on it.

Hi bfwmomof3!! Yes, I agree with you. I think we got behind when we were out of town this week, and she had a difficult time. I started the prunes again today and she has already gone twice! The prune juice does sound gross with milk, but I did it sometimes with my son and he still drank it... so I'll try with her. If she doesn't like it... then I'll just stick to the pureed prunes, etc.

She is now drinking about 16-20 oz / day of cow's milk. And no... I can hardly get her to drink anything else. That is why I'm adding water to her cow's milk... just to make sure she is getting it. I am also constantly offering her a sippy cup with water or juice... or diluted juice... so she will learn to like it and start drinking it. I'm actually surprised she doesn't like it, but I guess she just doesn't want it b/c it's different. As far as other dairy.... she has just started to like yogurt so I've been doing the Yobaby yogurt... and I'll eventually just give her regular greek yogurt that the rest of us eat here at the house. I haven't tried cheese with her yet b/c until recently she would gag with anything other than pureed foods. She was very slow to take solids and has been a picky eater. She has just now started taking more textures and flavors (thank goodness)... so I'm doing a lot of exploring with her in just the last two weeks or so. Hopefully I can get her to have a wider range of diet! She still only has her top two teeth too.... and has started to use her gums to chomp on these new textures.....

I agree with you... not so much the frequency of poop, but as long as it's soft and no straining.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    I don't think you want to wait until she's not going at all - then you're behind, you know?
    Constipation can easily become chronic. The classic pattern is for a baby to experience a bout of constipation, and then start "withholding" poop because pooping hurts. The longer stool stays in the colon, the harder and drier it becomes, leading to increased pain when baby finally does poop, and more fear of pooping, and more withholding. As the baby spends more and more time with a distended colon, the colon stretches out and the nerves which trigger the colon to void become desensitized, leading to even less frequent pooping.

If baby seems to be upset about pooping and is avoiding pooping because she is upset, I'd definitely think about giving her some Miralax on a daily basis. The big mistake parents make when treating constipation is to try to keep the treatment as short as possible. But with constipation it generally takes about 2x longer to resolve than it did for the problem to begin, so think of this as a long term issue.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think things will get better too as she eats more solids and drinks a bit less milk - sounds like she is just starting to get better with the solids.

Your story about being away reminded me of when my son was 3.5. We were on a trip and didn't think to bring the prunes with us. After a couple days, we were visiting friends one afternoon/evening and my son spent half the visit in the bathroom constipated and crying, poor guy. So we stopped at a grocery store on the way back to the place we were staying for some prunes!