Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thinking of buying a pump

Default Thinking of buying a pump

Recently have been using a Medela hospital grade pump since I returned to work which is provided as a free service for employees but I can't seem to pump enough milk to supply the needs of my baby. I was thinking of buying a pump to use it while at home to leave more milk for the babysitter. I work 12 hour shifts and usually produce 12 to 14 ounces. The pump I'm interested in is Dr Brown's Simplisse Double Electric Breast Pump, does anyone recommend it?

P.S. my son is 4 months old.

Default Re: Thinking of buying a pump

I can't speak to that particular make/model, but buying a pump for home use is an excellent idea when you're not getting enough at work. Are you sure the shields on the hospital grade pump are the right size for you? That can impact the amount of milk you're able to get.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you. I looked it up and i do not have the right size shields. The ones i am using are too big. I am going to try pumping with smaller ones.

12-14 oz seems pretty good for a 12-hour shift! I bet with the right flanges you'll be able to increase it a bit, but you're starting from a good place.

How much milk it the baby drinking? The rule of thumb is an average of 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour, so during your shift, he should be drinking between 12 and 18 ounces.