Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could use some encouragement

Lightbulb Could use some encouragement

My LO was born at 35 weeks and was in the NICU for 15 days. We have been struggling with BFing the whole time. She just turned 12 Weeks old and we are still working really hard. Offering the breast supplementing with bottle and pumping. I am struggling with low supply as well. I have been wooing with an IBCLC and she basically says that we are doing all we can and to keep it up. We have used an SNS as well which was going great but she has recently started falling asleep halfway through and I have to give her the rest with a bottle. Weekend before last we took a long car ride to visit my family and she did GREAT. She was latching on at every feeding and I could hear her swallowing and everything. Mother's Day morning she nursed from both sides for about 15 min total! What a gift!
    But by the end of the trip she was not as interested in BFing and I chalked it up to exhaustion and lack of routine. We have been fighting to come back ever since (almost 2 weeks now). She is fighting the breast and the SNS is less effective. I thought we were so close!

We have come so far and I want this to work SO badly. My friends and family keep saying it is ok to give up. I know that comes from them wanting to be supportive and not feel like a failure but I will be heartbroken if this doesn't work. Also, I am not ready to give up when I still feel like success could be right around the corner!
    A little encouragement could go a long way here!

Default Re: Could use some encouragement

You said it yourself, mama: success could be right around the corner! Personally, I think that success has already arrived for you. Your baby does latch on and does nurse, and you have milk, so even if you're struggling with bottles and SNS right now you are way ahead of a mom whose baby won't latch, or a mom whose supply has vanished.

If you're not ready to give up, don't give up. That's the ONLY thing that separates successful breastfeeders from those who "fail". Sometimes a mom has to redefine success for herself, but that is so not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. You can do this, and you ARE DOING IT!!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are you only supplementing with your own milk? Or are you using formula? If formula how much a day?

Way too lazy for formula

I really appreciate the support! I am mostly struggling now because she has been totally refusing the breast for the last few days and will only get about half way through a feeding with the sns before she falls asleep.

We do use formula as I am only pumping about 300ml per day so she gets about 10oz a day of formula.

Don't give up! You've come so far and you've worked so hard for this. You can do it! You ARE doing it - she's already getting half her nutrition from you.

Have you seen these tips from kelly mom for getting baby back to breast?
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

I just found that yesterday, thank you, so we have been trying some things. She is still refusing for the most part, but she is less hysterical about it, so I think we are making progress

Progress is good! Keep us posted.

Just an update:
    LO did great while we were out of town. Latched on at every feeding and transferred milk at most of them too. She had an adjustment period when we got home but when I gave up worrying about anything but nursing we sort of found our stride again. She has also been a little congested the last couple of days so we have been working around that. Today she has eagerly gone to the breast but seems to be latching pretty shallowly and not transferring much milk. I am thinking it has at least a little to do with her congestion so I am hoping to ride it out and just keep offering and letting her do whatever she is going to do for as long as she wants.

Her congestion seems like it is starting to clear up a little now.

So I think we are headed in the right direction and mommy just needs to stay calm .

All of the encouragement was really helpful and much needed. Any other words of advice are welcome!

Congestion can definitely affect nursing - hard to breathe when mouth is full of boob and nose is full of snot! A humidifier can help; shooting a little breastmilk up the nose before with a syringe can also help clear things out.