Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nap length?

Default Nap length?

Ok, I know I went fishing about this earlier, but since I'm finally getting Brian into napping a bit now, I'm going to keep harping on it.

When you get your wee ones down for a nap, on average, how long do they tend to sleep for? Does it vary from nap to nap, sometimes depending on the time of day the nap happens? And at what point to you get them up from the nap, or do you just let them sleep as long as they chose? I never know if letting him go too long at any nap will curse us at nighttime. And is there a minimum that makes a nap worthwhile?

Thoughts?

Jen - who's little B has now been down for an hour this afternoon.

Default Re: Nap length?

My DS used to nap for 40 minutes at a time when he was a baby. You could set a clock by him, it was weird! At about a year he started napping longer -- 1-2 hours at a time.

Oh, and we did no sleep training/scheduling of any kind. And he was a pretty happy, well rested baby overall

Quote Originally Posted by cailin View Post
    My DS used to nap for 40 minutes at a time when he was a baby. You could set a clock by him, it was weird! At about a year he started napping longer -- 1-2 hours at a time.
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing the info Cailin. Out of curiosity, how many of those 40 minute naps did he tend to take each day?

I'm still figuring out what works for Brian, but it helps to hear what seems to have done the trick for other little ones.

Jen

Seems like my baby will be up ALL DAY for days at a time - maybe dozing for ten minutes every now and then...And then she'll sleep all day for two or three days. She's always really happy, so I just let her go. I've been wondering when naps will start too, though.

I guess my short answer is that - generally - MY BABY DOESN'T SLEEP.

Our LO takes about three naps a day - morning, afternoon, and early evening. The morning nap ranges from about 40 minutes to an hour, the afternoon ranges from about 1-2 hours, and the last nap is usually only about a half an hour. I nurse him down in the same spot every time. He is 6.5 mo. It wasn't until about 5-6 months that he started sleeping for longer stretches. Before that, he would sometimes wake up every 20 minutes and I would have to nurse him back down until he woke up happy! He's not on a schedule, but he seems to be able to go 2-3 hours between naps, whereas before, he went 1-2 hours between naps. I just follow his cues (yawning, rubbing eyes, cranky, slowing down) and consistently follow the same routine (nursing him down in the same place every time with his blanky). Paying attention to his cues and following a routine consistently have really payed off in our case. Good luck!
    Last edited by mommylaura; November 24th, 2006 at 12:35 AM.

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

If dd is at home, then she will sleep about 1-1/2 hours in the morning, take a brief catnap around lunch time (like right now on dh!), then another longer nap in the afternoon. If she is at day care where she goes for half a day, then all bets are off - usually a short nap there, then a long nap when I bring her home in the afternoon.

I got that No-Cry Sleep Solution book which talks about coaching babies to take longer naps. She says if you coax them back to sleep then that trains them to take longer naps on their own but I have never had that kind of luck with dd. She will wake up like clock-work after about 40 minutes and can be coaxed back to sleep pretty easily, but won't do it on her own. What is good about that book is how it makes you understand baby sleep - apparently "sleeping like a baby" isn't all that great!

Good luck with your lo!

He had about a zillion of those little naps! Maybe 5-6? when he was really little. Down to about 3-4 just before he turned a year.

Quote Originally Posted by rubysmama View Post
    Seems like my baby will be up ALL DAY for days at a time - maybe dozing for ten minutes every now and then...And then she'll sleep all day for two or three days.

Are you describing my son??

He sleeps constantly for 2 - 3 days, and only wakes up every 2 -3 hours to feed during the day and 3 -4 hours at night. Then he finally wakes up and he is up all day and sleeps stretches 2 -3 hrs at night for another couple of days.

When my DD was a newborn, she took many long naps during the day. Now, at 9 months, her naps are very erratic-some days it's several small power naps of less than 30 minutes, and somedays she'll nap a few hours-I just never know!!!

BTW-My name is Jenn and I have a 6 yr old son who's name is Brian!!!

It took a while before my kids would fall into any sort of nap schedule. I have 3 kids, and they all fell into a schedule around 10-12 months or so. Since I stay at home, I wasn't too much into scheduling, and just went with their needs for naps. Until the 10-12 month mark, each child would sometimes nap for only about 30 minutes; other times 2 hours. I never woke them unless I had to in order to leave the house for an appointment or something. And, they always slept fine at night, even if they had a late nap in the afternoon. (Sleep begets sleep!)

HTH

Lisa