Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need simple, quick advice please!

Default Need simple, quick advice please!

Mamas!

I am traveling for work and have been in a hotel since last night--I put all of my expressed milk in the fridge last night and this morning and just got back to the hotel tonight and the milk is frozen!! I guess the fridge was on the coldest setting?!

I am concerned because my plan was to put all my milk in storage bags, load up my small
    Cooler bag and bring home fresh and then freeze when I get home.

I'm concerned that it has frozen because I don't have the means to keep it in a frozen state tomorrow while traveling....

Any last minute suggestions?? I can keep it frozen for most of the day but from airport to home is about 7 hours and I only have a small bag that can't hold more than 4 medela bottles (which is why I was going to transfer to baggies but can't now that's it frozen!)

Sorry this is such a silly question! Just wanted your thoughts. I'm exhausted so maybe I'm not thinking this through fully!!

Thanks mamas!

Default Re: Need simple, quick advice please!

Sorry about the stupid fridge, mama! Can you run out and buy a small cooler, fill it with ice, and ship that?

If the milk gets defrosted, don't refreeze it. Just use it up ASAP when you get home.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Sorry about the stupid fridge, mama! Can you run out and buy a small cooler, fill it with ice, and ship that?

If the milk gets defrosted, don't refreeze it. Just use it up ASAP when you get home.
    Thanks Mommal

I'm so frustrated!! It's over 30oz of milk and I REALLY want to keep it, but I think it's unlikely I'll use it all in 24hrs. Unless I bottlefeed him all day and just pump to replace. I suppose I could do that.

I can try to ship, but of course I'm already cutting it close since meeting ends at 4pm and my flight takes off at 5:45pm. It's an all around bad day !

Is it true that if the milk is only PARTIALLY thawed that you can re-freeze?

Thanks again!

This is from kelly mom:

"If there are still ice crystals in the milk, then it is still considered frozen– it is safe to either use the milk or return it to a working freezer."
    Also, I think you could probably stretch the time a bit beyond 24 hours if it does thaw...

Ugh, so frustrating!

Actually, you might want to read through this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...-power-outage/

It says you can use the milk for 48 hours after thawing, and also that it may actually be okay to refreeze.

I have also been told (from my IBCLC--she sent out a mass email to the breastfeeding moms she knew right around hurricane Sandy because people were preparing to lose power!) that if there are ANY ice crystals left in the milk, it's safe to refreeze.

Thanks all! I made it!

Came home with 52oz of milk! Strategically packed so the frozen stayed frozen and the fresh milk stayed cold even during a 3hour flight delay and 10 hours of air travel in all!!

Thanks for all your recommendations!

xoxo
    A

Awesome! That's great news!

Yay! So glad things went your way.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"