Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One a RX medicine that I cant breastfeed on! Having issues!

Default One a RX medicine that I cant breastfeed on! Having issues!

I have been breastfeeding my daughter since day one. She is almost 3 months old. For 6 days I cannot breast feed, but only pump and dump. I have been doing it for 3 days now, and the pumping has totally screwed me up. Now I am totally engorged all the time. I have hard lumps and bumps on breasts. I pump everytime I would normally feed her, about every 3 hours. What do I do to stop the pain? Will my breasts ever get back to normal like they were?? Please help!

Default Re: One a RX medicine that I cant breastfeed on! Having issu

Ugh, that sounds awful! My first thought is that the pump probably doesn't drain the breast as well or as thoroughly as your baby does... It might help to pump a little more often than your baby would nurse.

Do you know about InfantRisk? If you haven't already, I recommend calling them at (806) 352-2519 to see if there are any other options besides pumping and dumping. Sometimes there are ways to time nursing to minimize baby's exposure to the medication without having to stop breastfeeding completely.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: One a RX medicine that I cant breastfeed on! Having issu

with LLLKaren. Do call InfantRisk- so often moms are told that they absolutely cannot nurse when taking a certain medication when the real answer is much more nuanced. Often moms are dissuaded from nursing even when taking perfectly safe medications, simply because very few doctors are familiar with medication use during lactation and they rarely bother to check.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"