Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at Work efficiency

Default Pumping at Work efficiency

Ok I have to admit I hate pumping! I wish I could just Nurse. But obviously I can't nurse from work and I am gone 9.5 hrs a day. SOoo.. With that being said my work allows me to pump on my Breaks I get 2 15 mins and a half an hour lunch.

I like to actually eat and enjoy my lunch. So I only pump on my 2 15 min breaks. This is my 3rd week back to work. The 1st week I pumped on my lunch break and would get 4 4oz bottles a day

the 2nd week at work I started only pumping on my breaks and i would get 3 4 oz bottles.

3rd week I am getting 2 4oz bottles and a 3 oz bottle. this is not quite enough. she like 4 oz bottles. And she is eating more at home which i why i think I am pumping less at work. She is nursing for 40 mins at a time at night, and more frequently. I think she is going through a growth spurt.

My question is can i increase my supply on my 2 pump sessions? Or do you think I have to go back to pumping all 3 breaks?

How can I make 1 pumping session more efficient?

I hope this wasn't too confusing with all my details. But I am just trying to figure this whole working and breastfeeding thing out.

Default Re: Pumping at Work efficiency

Hi mama, I think it would be a good idea to add the third pumping session back in - that's the best way to boost supply and pump output. As it is your two other breaks are pretty short - only 15 minutes - and most mothers will need at least 3 sessions in a 9 hour day. Moms vary in the amount of time they need in a pumping session, but many needs 20-30 minutes - so if you can squeeze a few extra minutes into your shorter breaks, that may help, even if you are "pumping dry." Here's a suggestion for eating and pumping at the same time: rig a hands-free setup for yourself. You can buy a special nursing camisole or bra for this purpose, or make one yourself - take a snug cami and cut holes out that will hold your flanges in place. Then you don't have to give up your lunch in order to pump!

Are you doing breast compressions while you're pumping? Essentially massaging your breasts to help the milk out.

Another suggestion is to pump in the car if you have a commute. Again you need a hands-free setup for this. You get setup before you start driving, throw a nursing cover on, switch on the pump and drive!

ETA: Also, if time is limited on your two breaks, you don't want to spend that time cleaning and washing. Some mothers have multiple sets of flanges etc, others throw everything into a ziploc bag and put it in the fridge between breaks. Or you can even leave it at room temp, because you're allowed to leave milk at room temp for several hours. The point is you don't want to spend time washing, you want to spend time pumping!

Good suggestions. I think I will start pumping on my lunch again. I do have a handsfree set up. But I think I will just bring my lunch in the pumping room and eat and pump in there. I always pump dry. i have a VERY fast let down. So I usually pump dry with in 10 mins. Shoudl I continue to pump beyond this to produce more milk?

I think if you continued to pump you would probably get a second let-down. That would not only give you a supply boost, it would net you more milk.

Does your pump have a let-down button? Usually it has an icon with drops on it. I'd pump dry for a few minutes after your first pray stops and then hit the let down button and see if you can get another one. If you don't have a button, you can reduce the suction and increase the speed to mimic the sucking pattern of a baby trying to stimulate let down.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Can't tell you how many lunches I've eaten while pumping!

I tend to get a late letdown after about 10 minutes of "pumping dry," too. I am thankful that my place of employment hasn't really given me a hard time about my pumping--I take 4 twenty minute breaks a day. I really need the stimulation multiple times a day to keep my supply up. Multiple milk removals is probably better than fewer, longer sessions, so maybe your work would be okay with you taking shorter, but more frequent breaks? I get the majority of my total output in a pumping session in the first 5 minutes, so there have been days that have gotten away from me that I just get that 5 minute session in, rather than miss it entirely.

I also suggest that you do compressions while pumping. I get at least another oz. or two a day when I do them!

Great I don't do compressions! I think I will start! I also think I may start drinking the mothers milk tea to get more milk during a session too! This is so awesome! Thanks everyone! In my personal life I dont know a single working breastfeeding mom! The advise and just having relateable mommies is invaluable!