Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cow's Milk - to be or not to be

Question Cow's Milk - to be or not to be

I know I still have a long while before thinking about this (my DS is only 14 weeks old) but as I read the posts it starts to scare me. The thought of my baby having to give up my milk and go on to yucky cow milk (I have never liked milk all my life). With the new research, I now know that cow's milk is not a necessity. I plan to pump wean when he is 1 but I do not plan to BF wean until he is ready. I kinda don't want my baby to ever drink cow's milk. What is a good supplement that has the same amount of vitamins and calories? Are there any other moms that feel the same way as I do about Cow's milk?

After telling my DH how I feel, he thinks I am silly. His answer is: our other kids all drink cow's milk so what is the big deal with this one? My answer to him is: and if all my other kids jump off a bridge am I going to send my baby after them (bad analogy i know!). My first son only drinks cow's milk with cereal and sweet stuff, my second son LOVES cow's milk, and my third son ONLY drinks it with cereal. Am I being a worry wart about this? This is the first time I am EBF and am loving it!! maybe this is why i am feeling this way?? idk

I wish I could give him my milk for the rest of his life....sigh
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

Default Re: Cow's Milk - to be or not to be

my son is now 4 1/2 and he never had cows milk until about 3 yrs old. I supplemented BFing with formula based on cows milk until he was about 6 months or so. This was mostly because i was worried and well meaning people talk me into it, I regret it now. And when he began solids I did give him other dairy products (organic, additive free, sugar free, thickener free) instead. I think cwo's milk is overrated and most of the cow's milk one can buy is so superprocessed it makes no sense.
    Now since about a year he occasionally asks for cow's milk, mostly i feel to annoy his dad who is of the opinion he should not have any at all and tends to make a big deal out of it. This i think is rubbish too. But I just don't buy into the hype of how children must have it or else but if he has some occasionally, why not.

I wouldn't overthink it right now, at just 14 weeks. When the time comes that your baby is no longer a teeny-tiny infant, but a toddler or a child who is weaning on his own, cow's milk might start to seem like a more logical option. If not, no worries! There is no reason to include cow's milk in a kid's diet, except for the fact that it is an easy source of calcium, fat, and protein. You can get all those dietary elements from other foods- it just requires that you be a lot more attentive to what you feed your child, and also to what he actually eats. For example, avocado is a great source of healthy fats but if your kid always leaves it on his plate it's not doing him much good!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*iritita View Post
    I know I still have a long while before thinking about this (my DS is only 14 weeks old) but as I read the posts it starts to scare me. The thought of my baby having to give up my milk and go on to yucky cow milk (I have never liked milk all my life). With the new research, I now know that cow's milk is not a necessity. I plan to pump wean when he is 1 but I do not plan to BF wean until he is ready. I kinda don't want my baby to ever drink cow's milk. What is a good supplement that has the same amount of vitamins and calories? Are there any other moms that feel the same way as I do about Cow's milk?

After telling my DH how I feel, he thinks I am silly. His answer is: our other kids all drink cow's milk so what is the big deal with this one? My answer to him is: and if all my other kids jump off a bridge am I going to send my baby after them (bad analogy i know!). My first son only drinks cow's milk with cereal and sweet stuff, my second son LOVES cow's milk, and my third son ONLY drinks it with cereal. Am I being a worry wart about this? This is the first time I am EBF and am loving it!! maybe this is why i am feeling this way?? idk

I wish I could give him my milk for the rest of his life....sigh
    I didn't figure out until I was in my late 20s that I was severely lactose intolerant. I suffered my whole life with stomach aches, congestion and chronic headaches. When I figured it out and eliminated it, within a couple months my symptoms were gone. Could have had a much happier childhood had that one been caught but it wasn't a common discussion in the 70s and 80s. I'm almost 44 and I've been off dairy about 16 years. My sister went through the same thing. Net net I can't fathom giving DD any cow dairy even though its a non issue while she's 10 months old and breastfeeding. I will look for other sources for the calcium, vitamins and nutrients she needs.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12