Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis and Reflux

Default Mastitis and Reflux

I am a FTM to an 11 week old girl. I initially was supplementing with formula but now I am EBF. Ellie is doing great with a few small exceptions. She is getting reflux and bad gas. I love bf but have developed mastitis on one side and believe it is starting on the other. I have been pumping to build up a supply for when I go back to work in a week. This has resulted in what I think is an oversupply and now mastitis. I cannot use most of my stored supply anytime soon because it was recommended that I eliminate dairy and that milk is prior to dietary changes. I am hoping I will be able to use it in the future! Anyway I am looking for some help with the mastitis and reflux. Ellie hates napping which makes me nervous for daycare so I could use some help with that too. Ill post more specific questions in the different areas of the site when I have a little more time but for now any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: New here and need support.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elliemommy View Post
    I am a FTM to an 11 week old girl. I initially was supplementing with formula but now I am EBF. Ellie is doing great with a few small exceptions. She is getting reflux and bad gas. I love bf but have developed mastitis on one side and believe it is starting on the other. I have been pumping to build up a supply for when I go back to work in a week. This has resulted in what I think is an oversupply and now mastitis. I cannot use most of my stored supply anytime soon because it was recommended that I eliminate dairy and that milk is prior to dietary changes. I am hoping I will be able to use it in the future! Anyway I am looking for some help with the mastitis and reflux. Ellie hates napping which makes me nervous for daycare so I could use some help with that too. Ill post more specific questions in the different areas of the site when I have a little more time but for now any advice would be appreciated.
    If it might be plugged ducts and not yet mastitis - nurse as much as you can to empty the breasts. This tells the difference and what to do. http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/
    Near bottom of page: It’s always best to treat a plug immediately and aggressively to avoid escalating into mastitis.
    CAUTION: Do NOT decrease or stop nursing when you have a plugged duct or mastitis, as this increases risk of complications (including abscess).
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Thanks debbers. Looks like it might be a plugged duct. I have no fever but one area that is quite red and a few smaller areas. My daughter is not nursing well from that side so I am pumping until empty when she eats. I start her on that side but I think my pain is keeping from nursing well. She empties the other side no problem. I'd like to try to get this resolved in the next few days as I will not have the ability to pump more than 2 times when at work with the possibility of an extra pump or two in the car each way. I'm happy to have so much milk for my baby but am worried that with the oversupply this will happen again.

bump
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Mastitis and Reflux

So, if it is loooking red, that still might be mastitis. Not everyone gets a fever. If you have no body aches or pains and no fever, you can probably hold off on the anti biotics but you want to take the situation seriously.
    Empty breast, lots of rest. That is your mantra. Empty breast means, nurse frequently on both sides but on the affected side in particular.
    rest means, sleep, if you cannot sleep, lie down, if you cannot lie down, sit, and REST. Stay home or wherever you can get help with meals. No errands, no house work no running around. Stay home and rest with baby.

I will get back toyou about your stored milk and dairy I have thoughts on that. For right now, Empty breast, lots of rest!

I really like the kellymom info linked above. Here is some more good suggestions from lll. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

Once you have resolved your plugged duct/mastitis (during which time I agree you want to empty your breasts as much as possible), you might want to be careful about the amount you are pumping. I understand that you want to stockpile your milk before you start, but it sounds like you might have worked your way into an oversupply, making you prone to the mastitis, and if you're going back to work in a week and have limited pumping opportunities, you are going to go from a situation of very frequent nursing and pumping to much less frequent nursing and pumping - a perfect setup for more plugged ducts and mastitis - NOT want you want to deal with just as you are going back to work! What is limiting the number of times you can pump at work? If there is absolutely no way you can pump more frequently, you may want to have a manual pump available for some quick pumping sessions in the bathroom to relieve pressure if you're starting to feel full.

I replied on the other thread where I started this but I think this is the more appropriate place. The mastitis or plugged duct issue has been resolved. I took antibiotics as the dr felt was best given my symptoms. I have been back to work for almost 2 weeks now and we have a good routine going-i think. I go back to court for the first time tomorrow and that will interfere with my schedule but I will bring the pump and use a bathroom if I need to. I might invest in a manual pump for those occasions.
    I nurse and pump in the morning. Ellie drains one side and rarely takes anything from the other side so I pump while she eats or sometimes before she wakes up if she is still sleeping when I am ready to pump. I always get 4oz from the side she is not eating on so I am sure she is getting plenty. I pump at least what she eats at day care. She gets 3-4 bottles while she is there and I pump twice at work and once on the way home (thank goodness for handsfree pumping in the car!!). Each pumping session yields more than she eats (she gets 3oz bottles and I pump 5 oz) Sometimes she needs a bottle from my husband before I get home - thus the nursing in the car but it is always a small one so she is not too full for nursing for later. She nurses twice at night. Once where likes to nurse for about 30-45 min but a lot of that is comfort nursing and once before she goes to sleep. If she falls asleep without draining both sides I pump before I go to sleep or I am too full to sleep. She sleeps for 8 hours and we have not woken up in the middle of the night in weeks so i stopped waking up to feed her and/or pump.
    Does this sound like an ok schedule?