Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting to feel unsure moving into 1 year

Default Starting to feel unsure moving into 1 year

Nursing has been so easy for a while now. But now I have a lot of questions as I'm seeing him eating more solid food and able to go longer between nursing.

Does he need water if he goes 3 hours between nursing and he's outside? (when away from home)

Do I need to "protect" milk supply by not allowing him to go longer intervals if we're out and about?

How do I know if he's hungry for milk or solids?

Is it normal to feel sad that the "weaning" process is now in motion-albeit slow?

Default Re: Starting to feel unsure moving into 1 year

By 1 year your milk supply will be established enough to go 3 hours or more. The issue might be that you get uncomfortable or engorged. I never had any problem with that so I don't know except that some women do get uncomfortably full. But this need not be the case. I found my supply adjusted as he nursed at greater intervals but never dwindled. Now he is 4 1/2 years and while one breast dried up his favourite where he still occasionally nurses is (according to him and also I can feel it) still producing although he only uses it every 24 hours or less.

The part about how to tell if he is hungry for solids is not so easy to answer. Do you share meals with him? I mean does he sit with you when you eat? this is the easiest way I found to tell. He just pointed or grabbed and I laid out some things for him to take as he wanted to. My son did indicate if he wanted milk by placing his hand on my breast or by a word he coined (he began speech unusally early). Sometimes I just asked him and he indicated yes by placing his hand or just grabbed a cucumber instead. If you keep the question simple it will work best (eg: do you want a cucumber? but not do you want a cucumber or milk? it is not that they are stupid but these questions are difficult to reply to. So split the choices up rather than with linking them.
    Some people teach their toddlers to sign for milk. I would say just try what works best for you both in way of communication.

re. water - there are various opinions out there. Mine is, unless he is constipated there is no need for water while he still nurses every three hours or so (on demand I assume), except if he tries to like take your cup or your water bottle or whatever and have a sip. I used to offer water in a unbreakable cup, a small amount so it was no probelem if he spilled it but it was more for the sensation than thirst at first. I found that we did better without a sippy cup. Where we live babies are also offered unsweetened baby tea (made of caraway, fennel and anis) and this helps also with digestion. Anyway, we used regular small plastic cups and also bottles for adults. I suppose it will also depend on the climate where you live - if it is very hot he may need more water.

And yes, i think it is normal to feel sad as the weaning process starts. I feel so sad sometimes about, that it is in fact over, despite the fact he still nurses occasionally, it but also at the same time proud and glad that he is growing and maturing. And also sometimes a relief.
    Last edited by @llli*mammi; May 22nd, 2013 at 07:18 AM.

Default Re: Starting to feel unsure moving into 1 year

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*edugatorgirl View Post
    Does he need water if he goes 3 hours between nursing and he's outside? (when away from home)
    If he seems thirsty, you should offer him something, regardless of whether it's been 3 hours or 3 minutes. After a year, it's up to you whether you offer the breast or a sippy cup full of water. Sometimes one will be more convenient, sometimes the other. For example, it might be convenient to offer the sippy when you're trying to finish a task and don't want to stop to nurse. Or it might be convenient to offer the breast when you're feeling full or when you don't have a sippy available.

Do I need to "protect" milk supply by not allowing him to go longer intervals if we're out and about?
    Not the same way you did when your LO was a newborn. Your milk supply at this point should be pretty resilient, and your baby is probably now able to compensate for decreases in milk intake by increasing his intake of solids. If your LO occasionally goes long stretches between nursing sessions, that shouldn't be a problem- your supply won't completely tank, and your LO will just nurse more often if he needs it to come back up. But don't be afraid to offer if you feel like offering!

How do I know if he's hungry for milk or solids?
    Offer one, see what he does. If he rejects one, try the other.

Is it normal to feel sad that the "weaning" process is now in motion-albeit slow?
    Yup. Weaning is very emotional. But it's also often a very long process, so your feelings about it may change as time goes on. You may eventually reach a point at which you are very eager for your LO to wean!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"