Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue tie question

Default Tongue tie question

Hi,
    I just noticed today that one of my twin girls possibly has tongue tie. She's just over 5 weeks and has been breastfeeding since birth and has easily gained weight. Is it possible to have a baby with tongue tie that can effectively breastfeed?

If so, is it still necessary to fix it?

Default Re: Tongue tie question

Yes, some tongue-tied babies have no trouble nursing or gaining weight. When a tongue tie isn't impacting breastfeeding, there's no urgent need to fix it. It's likely that the tie will stretch out as the baby grows and her mouth grows and develops. But do have your pediatrician and dentist take a look at it. Tongue ties can impact oral development in a variety of ways, and can cause difficulties with eating solids and/or speech. Since your baby's tie isn't impacting her ability to breastfeed, it's unlikely that it would cause any additional difficulty for her, but you want to be sure!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Tongue tie question

Are you having latch pain when nursing? THAT alone would be reason to treat tt. Otherwise, I agree with mommal. It can wait.