Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 month old voraciously nursing at night - biting

Default 11 month old voraciously nursing at night - biting

My son nursed every hour or so during the day. Recently, in the past 1-2 weeks, when we've been out and about he is able to go 2 hours. He has always nursed 7 plus times at night. And the early morning hours after 2 or so, he nurses every 45 minutes it seems.

But lately he has been acting like he is eating his last meal every time he nurses at night. Gulping, fast sucking, and crying for the other side then latching on before I'm even rolled over all the way.

Well last night he bit me HARD. My tank had slipped when I rolled, and was partially covering my breast, but I guess he latched on anyway then bit me trying to fix it. I started crying it hurt so bad. Of course he was crying too, very mad yet asleep, that he couldn't nurse. My husband rocked him for a while so I could calm down.

He's always been a frequent nurser day and night, but I feel like this is different- he is much more insistent at night than during the day.

Is this typical of the 11 month old range nursing? That they're learning to express themselves and it's just part of the gusto they do it with?

Default Re: 11 month old voraciously nursing at night - biting

I don't remember with my first, but my 10-month-old is doing this - suddenly she's STARVING all night long and nursing desperately every hour at least, never wanting to finish. It's exhausting. I hope someone has some good advice. Just wanted to commiserate with you

Good to know I'm not alone! My friends have all either weaned or definitely night weaned, and I get the "solid food" schpiel every time I peep about his sleep. Solid food is making no difference!

Is he getting his one year molars? That can make them pretty miserable at night.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

He may well be getting his molars. He's been more drooly lately too, with fingers in his mouth again.

If you are getting desperately worn out you might try a dose of ibuprofin before bed to see if that gets him enough pain relief to help him sleep a bit longer.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous