Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure about doc's advice

Default Not sure about doc's advice

I am getting ready to have baby girl #2 next month and after failing with BF with DD #1, I am all about these forums and knowing what to do. I now know that nursing all the time is normal and doesn't mean my supply is low...etc. However...

My sis-in-law had a baby in March and when she was 2 weeks old, her doc put her on a "diet" because she was spending 45 mins on the breast. My SIL said that her doc said to limit the time to 15 minutes per nursing session. From what I have been reading on here, that doesn't seem like good advice does it? The baby is now 3 months old and she has switched to pumping only bc she says the baby just wants to nurse all the time so they give bottles now. We were out to dinner and in 2 hours the baby wanted to eat every 5 mins, and they went through 4 bottles of BM and 5 diapers...making the comment that maybe they should switch to formula to get her more calories. I told her formula has the same calories as BM but it takes longer to digest, giving the illusion of being higher in calories.

I just want to make sure that my current plan of being ready to nurse her 24/7 is normal and what I should do to ensure BF success....esp since docs are saying otherwise!

Default Re: Not sure about doc's advice

For the first 6 weeks you should do nothing but rest and nurse your baby It takes a lot of energy to eat and some babies are just slow eaters. At first it would take me 30-45 per breast. I had a huge oversupply and a letdown that reminded me of a fire hose. My baby had a tramatic birth and was weak. Nursing took a lot of energy. I honestly believe what my midwife told me. Your baby was inside of you for 9 months. In a second her whold world was pulled out from under her. She has to find her new normal, and you have to give her time to find her new normal. Any way back to the orginal question. As long as your baby has enough wet/poo diapers a day, they are fine!! If you feel like its a undersupply issue that is causing your baby to take so long, start trying to increase it A lot of doctors try to scare us into thinking that we cannot possibly do what science has already done. When my daughter was 5 days old I had a resident doctor tell me ( without even weighing my daughter) that she was not growing enough and that I could not exclusively breastfeed. I put my foot down and they finally weighed her and found out that she had gained 8 oz. and was 4 oz. past her birth weight. and continued to gain. now at 7 months old my little chunky monkey is 18 ibs and has never had a drop of formula in her life. Go by your instincts when dealing with this. Your mom. you really know whats best
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

I hope you'll be taking your baby to a different pediatrician from the one your SIL uses. That guy sounds pretty ignorant when it comes to breastfeeding!

Yes, the best thing you can do to ensure breastfeeding success is to be ready to nurse on demand, even if that means nursing very frequently or for long time periods. With a newborn, you want to nurse on demand, or at least 10-12 times a day if the baby is sleepy, jaundiced, non-demanding, or having trouble regaining birthweight. You don't want to limit time at the breast, except in very special circumstances (e.g. very premature or sick baby who burns too many calories trying to nurse while not taking enough in).

I know it can be very anxiety-producing to see someone you like and respect making serious breastfeeding missteps. But don't let yourself fall not the trap of "my SIL can't breastfeed, therefore it's going to be hard for me, too." She got bad advice and made some misinformed choices (listening to bad advice, switching to EP when there was no reason to do so), but that doesn't mean you're going to experience the same or similar issues.

Things you can do to make sure breastfeeding goes well:
    - Stock your fridge with frozen meals.
    - Have the best possible birth. Breastfeeding is easier when mom is healthy and strong after birth. Consider your birth options carefully, make a birth plan, and discuss your plan with your caregiver.
    - Avoid induction of labor unless medically necessary. Induced births tend to be more difficult and are more likely to necessitate additional interventions (e.g. episiotomy, vacuum or forceps delivery, c-section) than spontaneous births. Please note that suspected large baby, having your preferred doc or midwife be in town for the birth, or trying to avoid a holiday weekend are NOT good reasons to induce, although they are common ones.
    - Read up on your pain relief options. All medical pain relief carries risks. For example, narcotic pain releivers can cause a baby to be born sleepy and unwilling to nurse, and epidurals can cause a fever in mom that will result in a NICU stay for the baby. This is not to say "You must not use medical pain relief!", rather, it is to say "Know your options, and weigh the risk vs. benefit for yourself."
    - Assuming baby is born healthy and strong, have him or her delivered immediately onto your bare chest, wearing just a hat and a little blanket over his/her back. Babies warm up best when skin-to-skin with mom, and most will nurse or at least attempt to nurse within a few minutes of birth. Don't skip that first nursing opportunity!
    - Delay all routine newborn procedures until the baby has had a chance for skin-to-skin warming, nursing, and bonding. There's nothing urgent about getting the baby weighed, measured, footprinted, bathed, or having eye ointment or the vitamin K or Hep B injections. All those routine procedures can wait for at least an hour.
    - Room in with your baby. You'll learn his/her nursing cues faster, you will be able to nurse before the baby gets really hungry (babies who are hungry enough that they are crying are sometimes too frantic to latch well), and there will be less chance of a "helpful" staff member slipping your baby a bottle of formula or a pacifier.
    - If you send your baby to the nursery, make a sign for his/her bassinet that says "I am a breastfed baby. No bottles or pacifiers, please! Bring me to my mom every time I cry, or every 2 hours if I don't."
    - Avoid artificial nipples (bottles, pacifiers) for several weeks following birth. Babies suck differently on artificial nipples than they do on the breast, and that difference can impact a baby's latching ability.
    - Don't supplement with formula "just until your milk comes in," unless of course there is a medical necessity to supplement. Every time a baby gets a supplemental feeding, and the baby skips a nursing session or just stretches out the time in between feedings, the mom's body misses the cue the baby would have given by nursing. Supplementing can delay the onset of milk production and reduce milk supply.
    - Nurse on demand, or at least 10-12 times a day.
    - If you are having a boy and plan to have him circumcised, consider waiting a week or more before having the procedure done. Pain from a circumcision can impact nursing.
    - Surround yourself with helpful and supportive friends and family members. They should cook your meals, wash your laundry, take care of your older child, hold the baby so you can nap or shower, walk your dog, purchase take-out meals, sweep your floor, bring you water and snacks, change the baby's diapers, etc. They should not suggest that you go and pump so they can give a bottle, or tell you how hard nursing is, or weigh you down with doubts and insecurities.
    - Acept that the first couple months with the baby are going to be chaotic and messy. But don't worry, no-one ever died from a dirty floor!

Finally, this is a totally random tip which has nothing to do with breastfeeding, but it's a good one: bring a bottle of olive oil to the hospital and oil your baby's bottom between diaper changes. That sticky meconium poop will slide right off!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi mama, congrats on your upcoming baby! One of the many beauties of breastfeeding is that a nursing baby won't overeat at the breast. Because baby controls it. So except for special circumstances, as mommal mentions, there's no need to restrict baby's time on the breast. Also, a breastfed baby will eat small, frequent meals, and breastmilk is easy to digest. So they have to eat 24/7, and your plan to nurse 24/7 is a good one! Mommal laid out a comprehensive list of ways to prepare. For me, I found the most important things were to: 1) Deliver in a baby-friendly hospital (that encourages and supports breastfeeding, including baby to breast upon delivery, rooming in, no "free" formula gifts etc.) and 2) having a support system in place so that my one and only job in the early weeks was to nurse, nurse, nurse. No cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. And definitely have someone available to watch your older child. Also, it may be a good idea to figure out in advance what resources you have available in terms of lactation consultants, preferably IBCLCs. That way if you do find you are having difficulty, you have someone to call right away. You can ask at your ob/midwife's office or your pediatrician/GP's office.

I suggest, get the book the womanly art of breastfeeding. (8th edition) and read it, keep it around. When your friend who was (allegedly) undermined in her desire to breastfeed by (allegedly) off the wall medical advice is expecting another baby, or if she ever thinks about getting her 3 month old baby back to the breast, (yes it can be done,) give it to her.

Right now, this may help her with her sweet baby who is gobbling bottles. Baby has a healthy and normal compulsion to suck, but at the breast he can control milk intake unlike with a bottle. So he can suckle and suckle without ever overeating. Not so, with a bottle. But these ideas help. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

You're right! Feed her for as long as she likes. I found the misconception that a baby eats for 20 minutes every two hours HILARIOUS after about a month of breastfeeding my twins. They could eat for several hours without stopping and are just now starting to go more than an hour in-between feedings at 10 weeks old. You don't picture feeding a baby for hours on end, but know that it is totally normal as long as she is gaining weight, has the correct diaper output, and seems content.