Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Completely Desperate ... Thrush

Unhappy Completely Desperate ... Thrush

My youngest son is currently almost 9 months old and for probably %75 of the time we have been battling thrush. He got it really bad when he was 2/3 weeks old and since then its been a constant battle. I've tried treating it with nystatin (both in his mouth and on my breast), we've used gentian violet, and since this past (well current) bout with it we've started probiotics and yogurt. I cringe every Time he nurses and although I WANT to keep breastfeeding, being in so much pain constantly makes me was to stop. I am at my wits end and do not know what to do. The violet only gets rid of it for a week give or take and then it's back again. This morning my nipples are so cracked that my son had a blood mustache while nursing. I really need some advice and encouragement because I am in so much pain.

*edit* I also have been using coconut oil and lansinoh to try to help heal me up some to no avail.
    Last edited by @llli*lovableladybug; May 20th, 2013 at 06:17 AM.

Default Re: Completely Desperate ... Thrush

Wow, ouch!

Have you tried a course of Fluconazole (Diflucan)? I have read that it's more effective than Nystatin.

I was just reading this article in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/ma...anted=all&_r=0. It's about the human microbiome (bacterial flora) and what it can do for us, and it briefly mentions bacterial transplants from people with "healthy" microbiomes to people with "sick" floras. I wonder if maybe an approach to try would be to beat back the thrush and then find someone with a nice, healthy skin flora and swab them and then rub that all over yourself and the baby, and see if that can establish a healthier skin flora. IDK, that's purely a hypothetical... But I am sure at this point you're looking for any straw to grasp! Kudos to you for sticking with breastfeeding despite what sounds like an awful case of thrush.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I haven't tried diflucan, can my son use it as well? I am going to call my doctor this morning I see what she can do for me. Also, how would I go about the skin flora thing (although I wonder if there is something similar for your whole body considering I am really prone to yeast infections too)?

I second the need for a course of diflucan. I think they can prescribe it for babies too. Make sure they give you the right dose for the right amount of time -unlike vainal yeast infections, one dose is NOT enough for a breast yeast infection. Dr. Newman has info that you can print and take to your doc if you want http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP (it's under the 'if still not getting better at all' section).

I also want to say kudos for making it through this long. Nursing through thrush is really painful! Once you beat this, you'll feel so much better

Thank you for that print out! I'll definitely print it out just in case my doctor needs it!

Wow!!! you sure are one strong mama
    wonder if there is something similar for your whole body considering I am really prone to yeast infections too)?
    Do you think that you may have a overgrowth of yeast in your body? I had something similar to candida and it caused bad yeast infections. If you do have candida it can be really really hard to get under control and the usual remidies for yeast type infections dont work well at all. Once you are able to get the thrush down from the advice given by these wonderful ladies a total transformation of your diet will need to happen to keep it down. The skin shows us how our bodies are doing on the inside. If somethings wrong on the outside, usually that means somethings not right on the inside. I had to stay away from all sugar. Even fruit at first had to much and would give me another yeast infection. No breads, pasta, minmal carbs, any and all prossed foods, no candy, do you get where I'm going with this. Yeast feeds off of sugar. And make sure you are taking a high quality of probiotic. The stuff off of walmart shelf is better than nothing but its not the best. I personally use the Flora brand. You can find it at health food store. It has 6 different strains with with 17 billion viable cells per capsule. Its good stuff !!!! I hope this helps and I m sorry I could not be more help on the current bout of thrush
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovableladybug View Post
    Also, how would I go about the skin flora thing (although I wonder if there is something similar for your whole body considering I am really prone to yeast infections too)?
    I think the PPs gave some excellent advice about taking probiotics. Diet is a great way to start building a healthier bacterial community. Eat lots of high-fiber, low sugar, and fermented foods (e.g. vegetables, whole grains, sauerkraut, Kim chi, etc.). Avoid processed foods. You can also tweak your soap, clothing, and other hygiene choices. If you're using antibacterial hand or body soap, choose something that is not antibacterial. Wash your clothes on hot, dry them in the sun (yeast hates UV rays), and wear breathable natural fabrics instead of synthetics.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi! So sorry your dealing with thrush, I have never dealt with that while nursing but while pregnant with my second for the whole 9 months I dealth with vaginal yeast infections(I had NEVER in my life had one before this) One thing that always subsided the yeast was taking all sugars/yeast/breads out of my diet and just eating veggies in coconut oil/real butter, salads, lean meats cooked in coconut oil/spices(stir frys), avocados, nuts, seeds, things like that...but I had a hard time just eating that stuff(major sweet tooth and like dairy a lot) so when I would eat those again it would come back. Once I had my daughter it went away, completely. So I just suggest changing up your diet, adding a GOOD probiotic(I take DDS acidphidophillus 50 billion ever since I had her and haven't had the yeast flair up again), you can even put some on your breast and massage it in with breastmilk and give baby some in mouth with breastmilk, swab inside of mouth.
    Stay at home momma to Faith Noelle(2-18-2010) and Joyanna Grace(4-1-2013). Loves JESUS :-)