Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Broken Nipple AGAIN!

Default Broken Nipple AGAIN!

My daughter has had a terrible latch from day one. I had a bleeding nipple in the hospital when she was just hours old. Anyway, some days some feedings are better than others.
    We have worked with lactation on several occasions, her pedi is pro breastfeeding and check her for tounge tie among other things and we have worked with an occupational therapist as well as a speech therapist.
    That being said, we are in a time right now where her latch is horrible, and I have a huge crack in one nipple that is bleeding everytime I nurse/pump or even rub wrong on the bra.
    The pain is excrutiating and I am extremely susceptable to low supply and plugged ducts if I skip nursing or pumping.
    I am looking for suggestions on how to alieviate some of the pain and keep the area clean while still maintaining my supply and avoiding plugged ducts.
    As always any advice helps.

Default Re: Broken Nipple AGAIN!

Perhaps your doctor could give you a script for some of Dr. Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Cream. It's got antifungal and antibiotic ointments to help keep infections at bay, and a milk steroid to help with inflammation and pain. If you go to his site, he's got a page about how he writes it out.

I also found virgin coconut oil to be quite soothing. Worth a shot!

Hope you feel better soon.

How old is she, at this point?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sorry, forgot to add that. She will be 11 months this week.

11 months is really old for this to be a latch issue, though obviously I'm not discounting the possibility! Was there ever a time when the cracked side was trouble-free?

Tips for dealing with broken skin:
    - Hygeine- wash bras, towels, and shirts on hot and change them daily
    - Use a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin antibiotic ointment on the crack (pea-sized amount, mixed and applied using a clean finger) to combat inflammation and infection.
    - Try to vary your nursing position so that baby's teeth don't always fall in the same place
    - Make sure you have the right size breast shield for your pump
    - Hydrate the crack before nursing/pumping by immersing the nipple in a shot glass of warm water. Wet, soft scabs tear open less painfully than dry, hard ones.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

No, nothing about this breastfeeding experience has been trouble free. I have had bleeding or thrush or plugged ducts or mastitis etc. off and on since she was born. This is my second child and I struggled at the very beginning nursing my first, but it got better. This started bad and just never really got any better. My goal is a year but it has been an up-hill battle.

I am so sorry, mama. I know how hard it was to nurse with pain, and I really admire you for sticking with this for 11 months. Sometimes I think I must have had the absolute worst, with cracks for 5 months, but you have me beat... Sadly.

How are you feeling about thrush, at this point? Is it beat, or could this be it again?

I don't think it is thrush yet. Usually my nipples look shiny when I have thrush and they burn more. This just hurts.
    We may be dealing with thrush soon though. My little one was just diagnosed with a UTI after 7 plus days of fever.
    Any ideas on preventing it before it starts?

Good hygiene- wash bras, towels, and shirts daily and on hot. Dry in the sun, if possible (UV light is great for killing microorganisms).
    Avoid yeast-promoting foods- sugar and other simple carbohydrates (e.g. white bread, white rice).
    Take a good probiotic and eat probiotic foods (fermented products like kombucha, Kim chi, yogurt).