Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 24 month old weight concerns

Default 24 month old weight concerns

Hey mamas...I have a question for you all.

I'm nursing my 24 month old daughter, and she still nurses a lot - many times a day, often at night. She was a VERY fast gainer and was 25 lbs by the time she was 6 months old, and we had not introduced any solids at that point. She is about 32 lbs now, pretty tall for her age, I don't know exactly how tall. She still has arm rolls and just looks pretty round. She eats healthy foods, no cow's milk, low gluten, a few ounces of watered down orange juice occasionally. She prefers fruit over vegetables but really, I don't think her fruit intake is very concerning.

I'm becoming really concerned about her weight. My husband and I are pretty average-sized people but she is just still really chubby. I thought she would have thinned out by now, I guess? I don't want to obsess, but I also don't want her to experience teasing or, of course, the negative health effects of being overweight as she gets older. Sometimes other moms have commented in that passive-aggressive-disparaging way on her weight and it makes me feel like a big ol' failure but maybe they're right? What do you think?

Thank you!!!

Default Re: 24 month old weight concerns

Sometimes other moms have commented in that passive-aggressive-disparaging way on her weight and it makes me feel like a big ol' failure but maybe they're right? What do you think?
    What could you have failed at? IS the goal to raise skinny toddlers? Or healthy children and adults? I know how hard it is to not feel worried about what other mothers say, and I know the feeling of “my kid is so big’ (My 6 year old is a tall, solid boy who tends to be bigger than his classmates.) but I would suggest not basing your assessment of your child's health on the comments of people so astronomically insecure that they make passive aggressive comments about the weight of a two year old.

Growth does not depend on what or how much a child eats. It's genetic. Maybe you and your husband are not tall, but is someone else in your family?

I looked at the WHO charts (which go up to 5 years). And the CDC charts. Now, I am not a doctor and I can hardly even read the things, but I gave it a shot and I see nothing unusual about your child's weight. While I think she was at the tippy top or even just over at the top percentile of the charts at 6 months, she is now down the chart a bit. (This is entirely normal.) In other words, there were very few 6 month old girls that were at a higher weight than she was at 6 months, but now there are more 2 year old girls her weight and over. And the charts are based on healthy children. Not obese children. It shows normal weight for healthy children. So even being at the tippy top of the charts is normal and healthy.

WHO chart for girls http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand..._5_zscores.pdf cdc http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/html...s/wtageinf.htm

Since your offer your child a healthy diet, and I assume she is spending most of her awake time in active play, moving to some degree, like a normal 2 year old, as opposed to on her bottom in front of the tv or video game, I am not sure what you are thinking you should be doing differently. Breastfeeding, even biologically normal length breastfeeding as you are doing, (aka 'extended length') does NOT cause obesity. IN fact the evidence points the other way.

Chubby at two is normal. My boys kept that sweet, 'full' baby look until past age three or so, iirc. Even my oldest, who is quite slender now. I nursed both my sons for years, btw. And fed them the same. And they have totally different bodies, one takes after my family and the other my husband’s. It’s genetics!

Thanks for your encouragement! Really.

I completely agree about raising a healthy, not necessarily skinny, child...but I also let all those weird comments from other mothers and the endless articles about childhood obesity published by the New York Times get to me sometimes. My daughter is active, but I tend to beat myself up every time we don't make it to the park that day or she eats a few goldfish crackers. :/ And every time I'm resolved to just chill out and just let her grow at her own pace, something happens and I get in an anxious rut about it again. I'm sure I'll be referring to your post for encouragement often in the coming months!

Don't let other people's insecurities change how you feel about your child's weight. Chubby toddlers don't necessarily turn into fat adults, nor do skinny children necessarily turn into skinny adults. And at age 2, a kid has a LOT of growing left before she even transitions from chubby toddlerhood to proportionally leaner childhood.

Also, don't beat yourself up about allowing your child occasional treats (e.g. goldfish crackers). I think that overly strict limits placed on foods or certain categories of food, like desserts or candy, can set up binging and hoarding patterns. Kids who rarely or never get access to treats may look at every cupcake or bag of Halloween candy as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and consume more than they are actually hungry for, because when are they ever going to get this chance again?

One thing I have noticed with my girls is that they will go through chubby phases and skinny phases, and the chubby phases almost always precede a massive growth in height. One day I notice that they have a little bit of a tummy, and a month later I need to buy them all new pants...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    One thing I have noticed with my girls is that they will go through chubby phases and skinny phases, and the chubby phases almost always precede a massive growth in height. One day I notice that they have a little bit of a tummy, and a month later I need to buy them all new pants...
    I've noticed that with both my kiddos, too.

You've got a normal, healthy baby, mama. Don't let other people's judgments get you down.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous